90° flare tailpiece

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really like using flare tailpieces instead of barbed for their fast-change capailities. Now I'm looking for a flare tailpiece with a 90° bend, kind of like merging these together:

tailpieceMFL14-2T.jpg

tailpieceelbow14SS-2T.jpg

Has anyone seen such a thing?

Thanks!

Ha! That's a nice setup! I'm not sure how I could make it work though. I'm planning a 1-tap tower like this:
draft8.jpg

for when I don't need 2-3 taps on my portable kegerator, this one:
kegerator-65491.jpg

but I really hate barbed fittings. Unfortunately whether using a Guest disconnect with Bev-Seal Ultra or regular vinyl tubing, a flare tailpiece just won't fit into a 3" piece of PVC pipe. I guess a 90° barbed tailpiece is still removable, so I can live with it if I have to, but I'll have to use vinyl tubing.

Thanks, m00ps!

What's the difference between unscrewing the line at a flare, or less than an inch away at the tailpiece nut?

When I want to swap line I just unhook the tailpiece and move it to the shank I want. I don't see what a flare here would do for you.

What's the difference between unscrewing the line at a flare, or less than an inch away at the tailpiece nut?

When I want to swap line I just unhook the tailpiece and move it to the shank I want. I don't see what a flare here would do for you.
I know. It's just that the entire rest of my system uses flares. I find the flares to be more versatile - lines can be swapped into any other part of my system should the need arise. Also, I'm just plain ol' stubborn.

Are you looking for something to attach to the top of a sankey keg tapper?

No, I could (and do) just use straight flare tailpieces for that. This is specifically for inside my draft towers.

depending on the size of your tubing, and how much space you have, you might be able to use John Guest fittings, and they have elbows that you can use.

I have transitioned away from the swivel barbs (I now have dozens in my tool box), and am using John Guest for as much as I can, and have converted over around 80% of my equipment so far. I like John Guest fittings because you just push in your tubing, and then pull it out after pressing the collar, making changing out disconnects or tubing very easy and simple. I might have some pictures posted somewhere if you are interested to see what I am talking about.

depending on the size of your tubing, and how much space you have, you might be able to use John Guest fittings, and they have elbows that you can use.

I use Bev-Seal Ultra for my main kegerator, and Guest fittings all around. I thought about the Bev-Seal for the 'rolling kegerator', but ruled it out because of the tight space in the tower. You're telling me there is an elbow?!?! An elbow that fits onto the shank? I can get behind that! Where might one buy those?

Thanks!

no, you would have to use two fittings, one that is the 5/8 bspp fitting to 5/16 OD tubing, and then a 5/16 john guest elbow. Let me see if I can find some links for you.

Here is the bspp connector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

here is the stem elbow: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...-516-tube.aspx

Again, you need enough space to pull this off, in particular to screw on the bspp fitting on to the shank. If you have just enough space, you may need to put the stem elbow in the bspp fitting first, and then screw it on to the shank.

Also, those links were some of the first I found, and you may be able to find them for cheaper prices with shipping elsewhere (especially if you don't want a 10 pack like Amazon sells the bspp fitting as)

Here is the bspp connector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

here is the stem elbow: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...-516-tube.aspx

Again, you need enough space to pull this off, in particular to screw on the bspp fitting on to the shank. If you have just enough space, you may need to put the stem elbow in the bspp fitting first, and then screw it on to the shank.

Also, those links were some of the first I found, and you may be able to find them for cheaper prices with shipping elsewhere (especially if you don't want a 10 pack like Amazon sells the bspp fitting as)

Thanks for the reply gnef, but the links got shortened and didn't work (notice the '...' in the middle of them). That said, I think I found what you had linked to.

I guess it'll be easier to stick with a 90° barb. I don't use my rolling kegerator often, so it's a minimal hassle.

Back