9 days in and still fermenting very actively

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Wit using a liquid yeast. Typically, with all of my other brews, the real active portion of the fermentation lasts only a few days. With this batch, it calmed down a bit, but when I racked it into the secondary to get it off the sediment bed, it started up again with a vengeance. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about wild yeast, or how long I should wait before I bottle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS I forgot to mention that my OG was 1.030 and I added an extra pound of table sugar to bring it up a bit. Could this be to blame?

Did you add the sugar when you transferred to secondary? If so, that would definitely explain the yeast becoming active again. Either way I'm guessing that everything is just fine, but next time I wouldn't move it to secondary so early, if at all.

Good luck! :mug:

I moved it to the secondary at 7 days. Is that early? I added the sugar when taking into the primary.

7 days isn't too early depending on the yeast strain. If you used WLP 400 or 410 both are slower than a lot of other yeast strains, and secondaries are unnecessary for wits, drink those sooner than later.

I used WLP 400. I'm pretty sure all will be well, just wanted to see what more experienced people had to say. I'll just let it ferment out a while and bottle only after I'm sure I won't explode bottles.

Thank you all, Prosit!

Back