8th batch-1st post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djc_6508

Reaction score
I just started my 8th batch this week (IPA-extract). My previous batches have turned out ok. A couple mild infections causing off taste. All in all my beers have all tased the same, Lacked any true flavor. Im hopefull this IPA will break the trend, although it started a little rough. about 24hrs into ferm. my bung flew off the top of my carboy. The ferm. was so violent that Im confident the contamination will be minnimal to zero. I have been reading through a lot of the threads and want to thank all the contributors, there is a lot of good info here. Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. :mug:

Welcome. I'm curious why you believe you had "a couple mild infections"? Off flavors can be caused by so many things and infection is probably one of the least likely to cause a "mild" off flavor.

Well, they all had this slightly sour finish. I guess I cant be sure about the contamination. I was always somewhat curious about it because I am extremely maticulous about being sanitary. I starsand EVERYTHING numerous times during brewing. I have a suspicion that the local water has something to do with it, so I have baught some gypsum to add in the next batch.

I'm not THE water guy, if you know what I mean, but I am learning more about water chemistry as I prepare to brew my first all grain batch, as I plan to "build" my water using distilled and salts. My tap water profile just isn't suitable for all grain, and wasn't great for extract or partial mashing either (very low in most minerals and high in bicarbonates).

If you feel the water might be the problem, I would suggest not just throwing gypsum into your tap water. Try distilled water. If you are brewing w/ extract and grains, there's really minimal to no concern about minerals in the water, the extract already has the minerals in it. Use store bought spring water to steep your grains in (or, partial mash with), and for the remainder of water necessary beyond the steeping or mashing, use distilled. This is what I've been doing for extract + grains, and partial mashes as well.

Also curious as to what temp. you are fermenting at?

Im brewing extract+grains. I have just been using water from the fridge (because it has a filter). Im fermenting around 68-70 depending on the day. I throw the carboy into a corner of my unfinished basement and wrap it with a towel.

If you are interested in trying to determine the cause of your off flavor you should troubleshoot one item at a time. Water is as good a place to start as any. Try using gallon jugs of spring water next time instead of your tap water. I recomend any that is labled spring water and has gone through UV treatment.

Based on what you said about your sanitizing practices I seriously doubt you've had an infected batch.

side note- Most of my other batches had a considerably higher ferment temp. This is the first batch Im fermenting in the basement. All the other batches were in my closet in my bedroom probably 75-80 depending.

side note- Most of my other batches had a considerably higher ferment temp. This is the first batch Im fermenting in the basement. All the other batches were in my closet in my bedroom probably 75-80 depending.

Depending on what yeast you were using, that temp range would have the potential to create all kinds of esters and off flavors. In my opinion, most off flavors are the result of improper fermentation due to poor temp control and/or under pitching (not enough yeast).

If you are interested in trying to determine the cause of your off flavor you should troubleshoot one item at a time. Water is as good a place to start as any. Try using gallon jugs of spring water next time instead of your tap water. I recomend any that is labled spring water and has gone through UV treatment.

Based on what you said about your sanitizing practices I seriously doubt you've had an infected batch.

thanks a lot for the advise. Im brewing another batch next week, and I'll make sure to grab some spring water from the store. Do I top off the batch with the spring water too, or is the tap suitable for that? It's usually about a gallon and a half to top off.

thanks a lot for the advise. Im brewing another batch next week, and I'll make sure to grab some spring water from the store. Do I top off the batch with the spring water too, or is the tap suitable for that? It's usually about a gallon and a half to top off.

Use the spring water for top up too.

can a high steeping temp cause these as well? I have found that keeping the temp around 150 on an electric stove to be frustratingly difficult. My steeping temp always fluxuates between 155-170.

Back