88% Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I dont know what I did but I managed to get 88% efficiency! The last couple batches Ive been using the LHBS grain mill and I had been getting about 55-60% efficiency so I took a break from brewing until I got my own mill because I didnt want to waste grains. Finally I couldnt take it any more and made another batch. (I just got lazy on buying a mill) I used the shops mill again.

Ususally I mash at about 152-154 and get some pretty malty beers but this time I mashed at 148 and that is the only difference I made in the entire process and I got an efficiency of 88%! Could the temperature be the answer?

grain bill:

8lb Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 60
4oz roasted barley
4oz honey malt

OG - 1.062

no peticular style in mind, just experimenting.

The hydrometer does not read fermentability. Temperature of the mash only effects fermentability. Temperature only changes the molecular makeup of the sugars converted from the starches. Lower temps could lower efficiency if the mash was not long enough for full conversion. The same amount of starch is in the mash regardless of the mash temp. Better crush will increase conversion because it allows the enzymes better access to the starches. Better conversion will increase efficiency.

I hit 79% yesterday using my pasta roller monstrosity. Although the 29#s of grain caused some severe hand cramping holding the drill (need to fix that) and put the brew day over an hour behind schedule, I'm so happy that I have control over what I consider one of the more important variables in brewing. Nothing worse than planning for a 1.070 beer and ending up with a 1.040...

I guess I forgot to mention the the LHBS has a fixed setting on the grain mill so its not adjustable. Its just a little too big of a gap for a perfect crush. Thats why I think it had to do with the temperature because that is the only this that changed in the entire brewing process from the last few times.

I guess I forgot to mention the the LHBS has a fixed setting on the grain mill so its not adjustable. Its just a little too big of a gap for a perfect crush. Thats why I think it had to do with the temperature because that is the only this that changed in the entire brewing process from the last few times.

So you used the exact same grain bill on all your batches. Crushed with the exact same mill and setting. Mashed for the exact same time. Sparged the same amount of water. The only change was you mashed at a lower temperature?

So you used the exact same grain bill on all your batches. Crushed with the exact same mill and setting. Mashed for the exact same time. Sparged the same amount of water. The only change was you mashed at a lower temperature?

Obviously not the exact bill, but I always use maris otter and usually roasted barley and crystal 60 and its always from the same company from the same vendor. And yes the same mill and setting because it is not adjustable. and yes I mashed for exactly one hour, and yes I sparged for exactly 25 minutes. Just like Always. Again, the only thing I changed was the mash temperature. Sparge temp stayed the same. 178 going in, sitting at 170 for 25 minutes. Any other variables?

Back