86 rpm and 35 in-lb for 3 Mill Roller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I have a motor with these specs and was wondering if it would be good for the MM3. I'd prefer not to have any pulleys, this I could direct connect with a spider. Not really concerned about how long the milling would take. Am I good?

35 inch pounds on a three roller mill sounds under-gunned, never mind the 86 rpm. For comparison I run a 42 inch pound gear motor on a two roller at 180 rpm...

Cheers!

I concur with the above, 35 inch lbs is only 3 ft lbs...it might have enough to turn the mill. but I’d be afraid at a small gap it might stall...

Did the mill come with a hand crank?

Try hand milling and see how hard it is to crank...guesstimating ft lbs...

IMO milling slower makes for a better crush with much less dust. My mill motor turns at 68 rpm.

Ah I see. You must have tested a lot of different speeds to find the sweet spot.

Well, no, I chose a gear motor that spun at that speed based on general consensus that 150-180 rpm was the sweet spot for output vs crush quality. And I agree with that consensus - three revs per second with 1-1/4" diameter rollers isn't very fast at all and doesn't trash the husks or raise much dust.

Check out the commercial gear motors sold for mills. They're typically in the 150-200 rpm range...

Cheers!

The consensus for years was that using a drill at 400+ was the sweet spot. Other consensus said crushing to powder should be the SOP. A guy comes along, makes a guess on a motor setup rpm which is slower, people notice the crush is better.. sweet spot moved. People on a different forum start using 70 rpm, crush with regards to husk damage improves once more. Sweet spot moves again.

Don't take it personally that commercial mill motors seem to have ignored that 70 rpm thing and settled between 150 and 200...

Cheers!

I'm not taking it personally, been around a good long time and have seen plenty of things done wrong by people who thought it was right. But you're sure the drive choice had nothing to do with availability of a certain motor, it's cost or ease of setup and everything to do with how the mill performed at that speed and the quality of the crush, so please.. carry on in your sweet spot.

Last edited:
Gear motors don't fall off trees, they have to be spec'd.
Given that, one might presume there was some thought behind the selection...

Cheers!

Gear motors don't fall off trees, they have to be spec'd.
Given that, one might presume there was some thought behind the selection...
Cheers!

Indeed. The slower the final drive the more expensive it is.

Back