82 Degrees in the house while on vacation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Just got home today from a vacation up north with no cell or internet service. Walked in and it was 74. Ok, not worried. Talked with my friend who was watching the house, dog and annoying cats and he said that one day he got here after work to find the house at 82! Not sure what day.

I’ve had this happen once before, just not so hot. I think my programmable thermostat is malfunctioning.

Two weeks ago tomorrow I brewed up a batch of stout, fermentation had slowed before I left last Sunday.

I’m still not too worried. I’m whooped from packing, driving, unpacking and dealing with a puppy who is very excited to see his people again!

I’ll take a gravity reading in the morning, if it’s not low enough, wait, take another in a couple days and if it’s not there?

Also, if, assuming, my yeast is dead, should I force carb or give priming a shot? I have better luck with priming sugar.

I’d guess it will be fine, I doubt the beer ever reached 82 degrees.. even if it did It would probably just lead to off flavors..

I agree with baldm. 82F is no where close to killing your yeast, and I'd say it's probably on the lower range of fusel production. Honestly, I think you got lucky that it is a stout, I think the style is pretty forgiving. It might work out in your favor, and give it that imperial sort of alcohol presence.

edit: Whoops, misread something, nevermind.

As the others have said, will be fine.

I agree with baldm. 82F is no where close to killing your yeast, and I'd say it's probably on the lower range of fusel production. Honestly, I think you got lucky enough that it is a stout, I think the style is pretty forgiving. It might work out in your favor, and give it that imperial sort of alcohol presence.

I agree with baldm. 82F is no where close to killing your yeast, and I'd say it's probably on the lower range of fusel production. Honestly, I think you got lucky that it is a stout, I think the style is pretty forgiving. It might work out in your favor, and give it that imperial sort of alcohol presence.

Not sure what happened there. Just got back from vacation and my tablet died when I was about to respond....

Just woke up, haven’t checked the gravity yet as my puppy demands to sit in my lap this morning. Apparently a week without his alpha he needs extra attention.

This is a second experiment at a chocolate covered cherry stout from a kit made by my LHBS. This one I’ve changed a few things already both in the brewing and once I rack into secondary.

When I start to fret over variables like this I go to brulosophy, find an applicable exbeeriment, then worry about whether I need to refill my glass. You should have negligible, if any, negative effects...

http://brulosophy.com/2017/05/08/fe...-pt-7-stable-vs-variable-exbeeriment-results/

Thanks for the link and advice! I’m still in information overload, slowly wrapping my head around understanding brewing. I accidentally only took one book about wild yeast and two kindle books on a week vacation. I think it was a good accident. Made me study one subject.

I put my beer in the fermenter and it got up to 89 in there. I wrapped it in a towel before I set it up. I ended up unplugging everything and it been sitting at 80 since.

I put my beer in the fermenter and it got up to 89 in there. I wrapped it in a towel before I set it up. I ended up unplugging everything and it been sitting at 80 since.

Wow! Everything ok? Fast aggressive fermentation would be my guess, harsh beer at the end?

My very first brew I thought keeping the thermostat set at 72* would be good enough not knowing fermentation created heat. That created fusel alchohol in that beer. However I don’t see how it could have happened in this instance.

I've seen the lower side of 82º here in the south. No biggie pending on the yeast strain, but prob just fine even if it is 5-8 over optimum temp. Stout always finishes high F.G. I am trying to get the bottom of why it does. I guess the sugar chain, lactose if added is why the yeast is done albeit 1014-1018. If it is been in there for 3 weeks it's done. Especially at higher temps then say lower temps where the yeast would hibernate at cooler temps.

My beer did it. It made it through. Its got 4.6% abv. I switch to secondary on Sunday. [emoji482]

Great news! Did it taste as designed?

The downside of brewing for me is not enough time. Going to rack it into secondary tonight and add the vanilla whiskey soaked cocoa nibs, barrel chips and cherry concentrate for a week or two. Think bottle this batch.

Great news! Did it taste as designed?

The downside of brewing for me is not enough time. Going to rack it into secondary tonight and add the vanilla whiskey soaked cocoa nibs, barrel chips and cherry concentrate for a week or two. Think bottle this batch.
It tastes fine so far. Adding hazlenut to the secondary.

Hazelnut! That sounds good! I might just have to brew this weekend. Wanna take it off anyway. First week back from vacation has been rough....

I’m going to try! I was thinking of a chocolate hazelnut stout. I’ve been caught sneaking a spoonful of Nutella on more than one occasion....

Back