80 Taps,my new favorite place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Place looks awesome. If I'm ever in long Island I'll definitely make that a visit.

Wonderful isn't it, all these places opening up with a focus on good beer.

I live in Illinois, but am from Iowa. My favorite place I've visited is called, El Bait Shop in Des Moines, IA. Fantastic beer menue. When I was there, they had over 100 beers on tap

I worked in KY last year and spent most of my rare days off at Eight Ball Brewing in Newport. I think they had 43 taps constantly rotating. The highlight for me was 5-6 kegs of De Struise....

I really liked my visit to Sergios World Beers in Louisville as well....

I hope you easterners appreciate just how good you have it :mug:

Best place around here is Milwaukee Burger Company. 40taps and good burgers. There tap list has changed every time you go in but the beer awesomeness level can vary. Sometimes its just about only local brews. Nothing against that but I can easily just go buy that at the store if I want.

Of course am an hour north of Madison and there are a bunch of great places there.

Place looks awesome. If I'm ever in long Island I'll definitely make that a visit.

Wonderful isn't it, all these places opening up with a focus on good beer.

I live in Illinois, but am from Iowa. My favorite place I've visited is called, El Bait Shop in Des Moines, IA. Fantastic beer menue. When I was there, they had over 100 beers on tap

They may have a lot of beers on tap, but their waitstaff doesn't know sh*t about any of the beers on tap. And it's so busy, it takes forever to get a beer. It's almost too much. My one experience there was not a good one. Plus, all they had basically were dark beers and IPAs. No lagers, no hefes, nothing I wanted on the day I went. But that's what people want, are big IPAs and stouts and sour beers. No thanks.
But that's all fine, I can always find something I like, but the fact that the waitstaff didn't know anything about the beer really annoyed me.

Wow all those beers just tapped. I see they also showed the UFC fight this weekend. It is my new favorite bar. Too bad its 3000 miles away.

They may have a lot of beers on tap, but their waitstaff doesn't know sh*t about any of the beers on tap.

That sucks nothing worse than a phenomenal selection served by an ignorant staff. I usually try to sit at the bar with hopes the bartender knows the beers or at least will let me sample the beers if he can't describe them.

My favorite local beer bar has 50+ on tap and the servers usually a cute woman has blown me away with their knowledge. Tons of tasters, good English pub food. Now if could just get them to splurge on the UFC fights.

That sucks nothing worse than a phenomenal selection served by an ignorant staff. I usually try to sit at the bar with hopes the bartender knows the beers or at least will let me sample the beers if he can't describe them.

My favorite local beer bar has 50+ on tap and the servers usually a cute woman has blown me away with their knowledge. Tons of tasters, good English pub food. Now if could just get them to splurge on the UFC fights.

Your not speaking of rookies are you? I live in oside as well.

It's always nice to go to a bar that has a ton off different beers on tap especially if your trying to get away from the BMC's. Can't beat $1 tasters at most places.

Your not speaking of rookies are you? I live in oside as well.

It's always nice to go to a bar that has a ton off different beers on tap especially if your trying to get away from the BMC's. Can't beat $1 tasters at most places.

No, the bar I am referring to is Churchills in San Marcos. You can tell that the people working there care about the beers and get to try them all. I can usually get a taster or two for free(small tastes not the 4 oz taster), if you ask about two different beers, more if you sit at the bar and talk to the bartender. Also when you talk to a knowledgeable bartender they may point you to a beer similar to the ones you like you've never heard of. It is just disappointing to have an impressive selection of beers to choose from and no one to help you make a decision. To me the dead giveaway of a clueless server is when you ask how a beer is the answer starts with "It's pretty good,..........."

I have watched a few UFC fights at Rookies. It was okay but I felt out of place without a high and tight.

Haha ya there are a lot of Marines there for sure. I haven't been to Churchill's. May have to check it out this weekend.

They may have a lot of beers on tap, but their waitstaff doesn't know sh*t about any of the beers on tap. And it's so busy, it takes forever to get a beer. It's almost too much. My one experience there was not a good one. Plus, all they had basically were dark beers and IPAs. No lagers, no hefes, nothing I wanted on the day I went. But that's what people want, are big IPAs and stouts and sour beers. No thanks.
But that's all fine, I can always find something I like, but the fact that the waitstaff didn't know anything about the beer really annoyed me.

I wonder if that's part of the problem with having that many beers on tap. I mean seriously, even a big beer fan would have to work there a while to really be able to tell you about all the beers. I didn't have that problem, but I was at the bar.

Also though, it seemed like any other bar with a ton of taps. In fact, the exact same thing happened to me that has happened at ever single bar I've been to that brags about how many beers they have on tap. The First two I ordered, they were out of that day. That has happened to me at El Bait shop, Bulldog Ale House (both of them I've been to), the Beer Market and One other one in Wisconsin I can't think of off hand. Seems to be a curse with me, so I just assume that's the way they are.

I wonder if that's part of the problem with having that many beers on tap. I mean seriously, even a big beer fan would have to work there a while to really be able to tell you about all the beers. I didn't have that problem, but I was at the bar.

Also though, it seemed like any other bar with a ton of taps. In fact, the exact same thing happened to me that has happened at ever single bar I've been to that brags about how many beers they have on tap. The First two I ordered, they were out of that day. That has happened to me at El Bait shop, Bulldog Ale House (both of them I've been to), the Beer Market and One other one in Wisconsin I can't think of off hand. Seems to be a curse with me, so I just assume that's the way they are.

It's f*cking ridiculous, dude. I mean, a hundred taps? Sh*t, that's too much. It's good to have options, but there is such a thing as too much.

It's f*cking ridiculous, dude. I mean, a hundred taps? Sh*t, that's too much. It's good to have options, but there is such a thing as too much.
AHH..NO. They gave me four free samples before I jokingly said "Ill take one of each".His reply was,"no problem".AND offererd advise on beers.Not many bartenders across the entire country give two craps about explaining each of there beers.And they usually have around six.There have been wine menus forever,I like a two page beer menu.If nothing else its good conversation.

Too much fun, no such thing.

I have worked in restaurants with 100s of wines to choose from. But there should be someone in the restaurant that knows about the $400 bottle. Likewise there should be someone on staff that knows something about most of the beers.

Each server should know about beer styles and know 3-4 of each and be able to explain those beers and be able to direct a non beer geek to a reasonable choice among those options.

If the restaurant has more than 15 taps they have invested heavily into beer. When they have 50 or more they have invested even more than i have in beer. Beer is their thing and hopefully they have some good food to go with it and an educated staff to serve it. There should be someone on staff who really cares about beer and is paid to choose, sample and educate the staff on different styles and the different choices among those styles.

I also don't see 100 beers to choose from. I like most but not all beers, but I am not going to a beer specialty place to drink cream ale, I am looking for a big, bold or hard to find English or American style ale. So out of a 100 options I may have 30 or so to choose from, half of which I may have tried or can get at home. This leaves 15 new beers for me to sample. If the food and service are any good a restaurant like this will get my business many nights in row.

Too much fun, no such thing.

I have worked in restaurants with 100s of wines to choose from. But there should be someone in the restaurant that knows about the $400 bottle. Likewise there should be someone on staff that knows something about most of the beers.

Each server should know about beer styles and know 3-4 of each and be able to explain those beers and be able to direct a non beer geek to a reasonable choice among those options.

If the restaurant has more than 15 taps they have invested heavily into beer. When they have 50 or more they have invested even more than i have in beer. Beer is their thing and hopefully they have some good food to go with it and an educated staff to serve it. There should be someone on staff who really cares about beer and is paid to choose, sample and educate the staff on different styles and the different choices among those styles.

I also don't see 100 beers to choose from. I like most but not all beers, but I am not going to a beer specialty place to drink cream ale, I am looking for a big, bold or hard to find English or American style ale. So out of a 100 options I may have 30 or so to choose from, half of which I may have tried or can get at home. This leaves 15 new beers for me to sample. If the food and service are any good a restaurant like this will get my business many nights in row.

The times I've been there, the servers were knowledgable about the flights they offered. I guess I just don't expect the wait staff at a burger joint/beer bar to know the inside out of every beer. The tips just aren't there. This is still basically a bar and no one is going to make a career out of waiting here. Unlike some restaurants I've been to that serve high end wine, a lot of that staff, it is their career and they usually make money accordingly.

Actually, what really annoyed me about El Bait Shop was that the server didn't know what beers weren't on tap anymore, per the list on the table. IE not updating their beer list pissed me off. My favorite place in Iowa City, The Sanctuary, has 27 taps, which isn't a lot, but updates the list every day or if something new is on. That's nice. And the server knows a lot about every beer.

Latest posts

Back