8% Sparkling Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A moderate sparkling mead sounds very appealing to me. I recently bought some raw only filtered desert honey from a roadside vender. Making a gallon of 8% sparkling mead sounds like it would be simple, relatively quick and delicious based on the big flavors that I tasted in the honey. Am I being unrealistic that this endeavor won’t need the long periods of fermentation, multiple rackings and constant degassing that I perceive higher ABV mead requires? I’m not interested in a raison cider orange mead. I just want to try my hand at a nice locally grown simple sparkling mead that I can bottle and enjoy like the beer that I love to make.

I’ve made a few batches roughly based on their recipes. They turn out great and usually ready in less than a month.
From my experience, 7-9% abv is the sweet spot that clears quickly and has enough character that it doesn’t require backsweetening. Anything less and I will backsweeten.
I also get about 20 of my gravity points from apple juice. I like the complexity it adds. So for a 5 gallon batch I’ll usually add about 2 gallons of aj.
I see the OP is in AZ, not sure if they sell Nectar Creek mead there. If you can get your hands on their mead, try it. Pretty decent and will give you a good idea of what to aim for.

I currently have three 5 gall batches in secondary (not necessary but my cornies are in use).
1) apple-cherry w mulling spices. Approximately 9% abv.
2) apple mango (Costco mango juice and 5lb frozen mango chunks). Abv 8%
3) hopped apple cyser. A neighbor had a bumper crop of mt hood hops.

The first two I got about half my gravity points from the combo of juices and the rest from honey. When I get time, I’ll backsweeten (if needed) then pasteurize.

Back