8 reason to never talk to the police.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning--- it is a 48 minute college level lecture.

It's informative and amusing though.

Ultimately boils down to one thing: the police work for the DA's office, not for you.

Warning--- it is a 48 minute college level lecture.

It's informative and amusing though.

Ultimately boils down to one thing: the police work for the DA's office, not for you.

yeah guess I should have put in a warning on that. :p

Very true, but as the police officer say, "I never want to put an innocent person in jail".

yeah guess I should have put in a warning on that. :p

Very true, but as the police officer say, "I never want to put an innocent person in jail".

On the other hand he also says that if someone is in the interview room, he already thinks they are guilty and will use whatever he can and stay as long as he needs to get them to say they are.

the correct answer to

"You have the right to remain silent. Do you understand that?"

is

" ... "

Quite possibly the most informative 45 minutes of ANYTHING I've ever seen. Information like that could literally save your innocent life (or your criminal ass).

That should be required viewing for every American.

When I'm bored later I'll watch. I'm off to the gym now. Thanks for the headsup, Ryan (btw, I'm no cop-hater)

I have recently been thinking about police and how I used to hate them. I have no problems with cops now, and the fact that there are many of them around is comforting to me now. I realized that the reason I hated cops was that I was doing illegal things all the time. If you are not doing anything illegal cops are great! It was a very strange realization for me.

Also, I think this theory is correct for "real" crimes. However, I got out of 2 arrests when I was younger for being nice and cooperating with the police. My offenses were mischief that would have not been a big deal at all 30 years ago, but in todays society warrant a full arrest and booking for an over-night stay. (lame) If you don't feel that what you did was that big of a deal, don't act like you are going to jail forever just because you were arrested.

However, if you commit a "real" crime, don't say anything.

Never trust a cop. Ever.

I've seen plenty of people abused/assaulted/arrested by cops who were doing nothing wrong. I have a couple of friends who got their pix in the paper after being senselessly brutalized by cops around here. They are always absolved of their wrongdoings, and usually only suffer a vacation with pay.

Police will always protect corporate interests before the general public...not to mention making $ for the state in the form of frivolous arrests/tickets/fines.

I am quite capable of protecting myself thanks

Never trust a cop. Ever.

I've seen plenty of people abused/assaulted/arrested by cops who were doing nothing wrong. I have a couple of friends who got their pix in the paper after being senselessly brutalized by cops around here. They are always absolved of their wrongdoings, and usually only suffer a vacation with pay.

Police will always protect corporate interests before the general public...not to mention making $ for the state in the form of frivolous arrests/tickets/fines.

I hate to say it, but since becoming a home owner and productive member of society, you sound like the kind of person that makes me not complain about my taxes that go to the police ;)

I doubt you know any cops, or have talked with any to hear the crazy **** they deal with on a daily basis. Also, if you can show me a real example of a roving band of police that are traveling around any city beating its citizens I will believe you. However, pointing out Rodney King won;t get you real far with me. If I were assaulted by a coked up massive human, I would beat the **** out of him too. Just my .02, don't kill me for it ;)

Never trust a cop. Ever.

Hmm. From your post, and this in your sig, it seems you are not happy here in our country:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

Sounds like it's time for you to move on.

That was AWESOME information.

I sugest everyone take the 49 minutes to watch this video

I doubt you know any cops, or have talked with any to hear the crazy **** they deal with on a daily basis. Also, if you can show me a real example of a roving band of police that are traveling around any city beating its citizens I will believe you. However, pointing out Rodney King won;t get you real far with me. If I were assaulted by a coked up massive human, I would beat the **** out of him too. Just my .02, don't kill me for it ;)

Ok.. so are you saying cops should treat everybody exactly the same as the coked out lunatic?

That is not a police force I would trust.

Or... are you saying they should treat people differently based on whether they appear to be a homeowner or a step away from vagrancy?

A society that endorsed that is not a society I would trust.

And if I had to choose, I'd rather distrust the police than the society.

Civil rights must really be a touchy subject for you....

Well I did talk to the police once.

I was driving to meet SWMBO and a car cut me off on the freeway. I swerved into the adjacent lane to avoid him, hit a patch of slippery stuff, and started to spin. I went to the right, countersteered, went to the left, countersteered, went to the right again.... all this time, my speed was decreasing and the cars behind me were braking, giving me plenty of room.

Some biatch in front of me, however, decided she didn't have a good enough view of me counter-steering the hell out of my car so she was slamming on her brakes to watch in her rearview mirror. So when she finally slowed too much, I broadsided her. Yup. Picture it. A T-bone with both cars traveling 40-60ish mph in the same direction. The crash was pretty bad, but my airbad didn't deploy.

The cops came, got us off the freeway, took statements. He asked me about 8 times "how fast were you going?" And 8 times, I replied, "I was doing a speed that was around the 80th percentile- that is to say, 20% of the cars were faster than me and 80% were slower". And again, and again, and again, he insisted he needed to have the speed to fill out the form.

Bull****. He needed the speed to cite me for speeding or reckless driving- and I knew it, so I stuck to my story.

About an hour later, a tow truck comes to impound my car. WTF? IMPOUND IT??? The driver says, "yeah, you were given a ticket, weren't you?" "No," I say, "I was not given a ticket. A couple calls to dispatch straightened that mess out and they let me get a private tow to my body shop.

That cop, I know, was ---> <---- this close to giving me a ticket. You know he was itching to do it. Why else would he have called for an impound tow?

Of course, I did give a statement. We both blamed the third driver that got away. With that, he couldn't cite me for too fast for conditions or recklessness, because we both agreed that it was the other car that caused it. And without my self-incriminating statement as to my speed, he couldn't get me for speeding either.

This video is nothing more than support for the 5th amendment. For every reason the lawyer AND the former cop discussed.......you should never volunteer information. That's become 1st week law school fact. Most lawyers forget this information unfortunately.

It's nothing to do with like or dislike of cops. Police are going to cite you. It's their job. If their citation is wrong, you have your date in court to defend. As the public, we DON'T want the police to act as the "judge and jury". The latter would be worse than false accusation.

Never trust a cop. Ever.

Wow, possibly the most ignorant thing I've read all week. Your statement about your friends and THEIR bad experience with the cops is a blatant fallacy. No doubt their are bad cops, but most of them aren't and we need them. I'm not even going to take the time to explain a world without cops, but I have no doubt you would call them if you needed them....

I'm not even going to take the time to explain a world without cops, but I have no doubt you would call them if you needed them....

"Yeah, like, 911? Like, somebody took my dimebag and now I'm all out. Dude! The Hinder concert is in, like 3 hours, too. This SOOooo sucks...what? Is this an emergency? Hell, yeah, it's a friggin' emergency! What? Yeah, biatch, you just remember that I PAY your friggin' salary, okay?..."

Sound about right? :p

I could not disagree more!!! I know a few cops and I would trust them with my life! Cops in general have a level of commitment to helping people that is unparalleled.

+1...people love to focus on the bad apples, but in general cops are dedicated to protecting and serving. If you have problems with cops, barring freak incidents, you're doing something wrong/conspicuous. Where there's smoke, there's fire...

Never trust a cop. Ever.

In 16 years in the business I have never seen anyone abused/assaulted/arrested who were doing nothing wrong. In fact I've never seen anyone abused or assaulted by a fellow officer and I've seen plenty who probably deserved it. Your entire statement is ignorant.

As is the case in most professions, the average cop is doing his job & doing it well. And then there's the "cuddle cop". He was a local who's 15 minutes of fame consisted of ticketing the same person for not wearing her shoulder belt. She was in the middle seat of her truck (DH driving), belted in. He decided that the Oregon law required her to sit in the position that had a shoulder harness. Not so. She won the appeal and it's a mote point now as he was found guilt of beating a person that: A. wasn't involved in a crime, B. wasn't resisting arrest, C. wasn't wearing the clothes described by the storekeeper & D. wasn't even the right "color". Just hauled off and started pounding the guy, according to his partner and the witnesses.

Ok.. so are you saying cops should treat everybody exactly the same as the coked out lunatic?

That is not a police force I would trust.

Or... are you saying they should treat people differently based on whether they appear to be a homeowner or a step away from vagrancy?

A society that endorsed that is not a society I would trust.

And if I had to choose, I'd rather distrust the police than the society.

Civil rights must really be a touchy subject for you....

You missed my point. I am not saying people should be treated differently. I am saying that people who are not doing anything wrong have no reason to fear or be suspicious of police. And that, while misunderstandings and bad things do happen, 99.999% of police are doing a great job that most people would not be able to handle.

By the way, if you weren't speed in your accident, you probably could have just told the officer, yes I was going 65 with the cruise control on. ;)

I know speeding is different, but that's my point. Because I am no longer doing anything wrong, I feel fine saying hello to my local police and asking how their day is going. If I were still a young hooligan who had things to hide from the police all the time, I would probably still be yelling nasty names at him/her having to do with various pork products.

I had some time to kill today so I watched this. Very interesting topic.

I'm just trying to picture staying silent though. You get pulled over for speeding:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

me: " "

Officer: "Sir, I asked if you if know why I pulled you over."

Officer: "Step out of the car please, sir."

If you're being interrogated for something I can see how it makes perfect sense to remain silent, but in a situation like the one above isn't that just going to tick the officer off? Seems to me like that's the last thing that you would want to do.

I had some time to kill today so I watched this. Very interesting topic.

I'm just trying to picture staying silent though. You get pulled over for speeding:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Officer: "Sir, I asked if you if know why I pulled you over."

Officer: "Step out of the car please, sir."

If you're being interrogated for something I can see how it makes perfect sense to remain silent, but in a situation like the one above isn't that just going to tick the officer off? Seems to me like that's the last thing that you would want to do.

Exactly... so just do your best to not admit to anything more than the fact that you were driving your car and are generally alert to your surroundings...

You missed my point. I am not saying people should be treated differently. I am saying that people who are not doing anything wrong have no reason to fear or be suspicious of police.

I disagree. Anybody who is not being interrogated by the police has no reason to fear or be suspicious. But if you're in an interrogation room, or discussing details of some crime that occurred, then that is a different matter.

Don't get me wrong, I do say hello to the local beat officers and they all know my house. But the day they come around asking some questions, is the day I refer them to my attorney. The problem is, they are under no obligation to tell you the truth. So when they start up a friendly "chat", you have no way of knowing the pretenses under which they are talking to you. Maybe your nosy neighbor figures that since you make your own alcohol, you're probably a meth head too and so she pointed her finger at you when the cops came asking. Now, of course, the cops aren't going to tell you that somebody mentioned your name... they're just going to stop by for a friendly chat...

It's one thing to wave and say hello, talk about the local baseball team and the weather. It's another thing to say, "Oh? There was a robbery on thursday night? You want to know where I was? Well gee... I guess I was at home with SWMBO, we were watching TV... I went down to the gas station around... blah blah blah"

Nobody is saying you can't be friendly to the police. Go ahead and say hello. Offer them a cup of coffee if the situation arises. But that's where you draw the line.

And that, while misunderstandings and bad things do happen, 99.999% of police are doing a great job that most people would not be able to handle.
Well, as long as it's so uncommon, I guess you wouldn't mind being part of the 0.001 percent then?

By the way, if you weren't speed in your accident, you probably could have just told the officer, yes I was going 65 with the cruise control on. ;)
Are you crazy? Have you ever driven the Dan Ryan through downtown Chicago on a Friday night??!!!! If you think I'm going to set cruise control at the posted limit of 50mph, you are crazier than I am. You see, there isn't a lane for traveling 50mph on the Dan Ryan. The right lane is for people doing 70. The shoulder. Yes. On the right hand shoulder, you can probably do 50, but then I'd be guilty of driving on the shoulder. Despite what the law requires, the safest speed to travel is the speed of the traffic around you.

I know speeding is different, but that's my point. Because I am no longer doing anything wrong, I feel fine saying hello to my local police and asking how their day is going. If I were still a young hooligan who had things to hide from the police all the time, I would probably still be yelling nasty names at him/her having to do with various pork products.

Wait.. so do you still speed or don't you? You say you aren't doing anything wrong, but then you say it's different. So are you justifying speeding? Or are you saying you don't do it?

Again, nobody is talking about calling anybody any names. I don't know where you got that idea from.

I've always found this argument interesting. Why are people afraid of making the officer mad? Are you afraid he won't take mercy on you? Or are you afaid he will put trumped-up charges on you? Or maybe you're afraid of being physically beat or handled roughly? You are doing nothing wrong; you're asserting your rights.

I for one don't beg for mercy from a cop, and I'm sure as heck not afraid of them. They are mostly good guys, but in these situations, they are NOT your friend. It's business that's all.

How do you think judges, lawyers, and off-duty cops act when pulled over? Do you think they are afraid of ticking the officer off? Heck no; they assert their rights in a respectful way, and demand the utmost professionalism from the officer.

I think it's fine to talk to LEO you just have to use common sense on what you say.

When a cop pulls you over for running a red light and you refuse to say anything then it's not going to go well. If you BS with him like a fellow local then chances are much better on it going more smoothly.

Example;

My Brother and I were driving to the Coast to go fishing and I got pulled over in a desolate stretch doing 85 in a 70. It was a Narcotics officer not looking for speeders really but drugs because that stretch is a major drug highway. I was polite with him, I answered where I was from, where I was going, etc. etc. He gave me a warning and sent me off.

Had I been silent I bet the drug dog would have been there in a few minutes and then after finding nothing they would have been pissed and I would have left with a speeding ticket.

I think it's fine to talk to LEO you just have to use common sense on what you say.

When a cop pulls you over for running a red light and you refuse to say anything then it's not going to go well. If you BS with him like a fellow local then chances are much better on it going more smoothly.

Example;

My Brother and I were driving to the Coast to go fishing and I got pulled over in a desolate stretch doing 85 in a 70. It was a Narcotics officer not looking for speeders really but drugs because that stretch is a major drug highway. I was polite with him, I answered where I was from, where I was going, etc. etc. He gave me a warning and sent me off.

Had I been silent I bet the drug dog would have been there in a few minutes and then after finding nothing they would have been pissed and I would have left with a speeding ticket.

My point exactly. It isn't being afraid or being a dick. It is just being yourself. If a cop asks me a question I answer it. I am sure if I was in a huge mess of real trouble with the law. Like if I robbed a bank or killed someone while drunk driving.... then I would probably hold my peace and wait for a lawyer. But for the rest of the time, if I was speeding, I'll get a ticket if caught, no point in being a dick about it to the cop. If I was not speeding, I tell the cop I was not speeding. If he disagrees, I show up in count, waste a day and get the ticket dropped.

I've always found this argument interesting. Why are people afraid of making the officer mad? Are you afraid he won't take mercy on you? Or are you afaid he will put trumped-up charges on you? Or maybe you're afraid of being physically beat or handled roughly? You are doing nothing wrong; you're asserting your rights.

Traffic stops are different. Unless you're 15-20mph over or more, or being reckless, or are 16 years old, you have at least a 50/50 shot at getting out of a speeding ticket most of the time. Now, the cost of getting a ticket isn't terribly high- a day in court, a fine, a bump on your insurance premium. It's really no big deal. So, since the stakes are low and the odds of getting out of the ticket are high, by all means, give it your best shot.

But for anything else, you need to treat it differently because most other "crimes" aren't so easy to talk your way out of...

Back