8% Nitro Cold Brew Mocha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Awhile back my neighbor's wife gave me a can of "coffee beer" or some such thing..... No resemblance to beer, it was just alcoholic creamed coffee, and asked me if I could "brew" that. I laughed after tasting it, and explained that there was no "brewing" involved except brewing coffee. The cream and alcohol were added later. It was a "compounded" drink, not a brewed one. Not so long ago I made an attach bracket to put a stout faucet on one of my wonderful little 1.75 gallon corny kegs from Williams Brewing. I use these in the fridge, as they will fit on the top shelf where "normal" folks keep milk... with party taps on short hoses. It was an interesting project, and I made a bracket that bolts to one handle, and under the beer out fitting quick coupler, which I had to machine off to make room and still seal to the keg. Instead of a vertical handle, I fabricated a horizontal handle so it would fit in the fridge. The nozzle is just high enough for a pint glass.... if you tilt it a bit. This was for nitro covfefe.... as I call it..... sometimes morons come up with expressions worth using by accident!

I simply made a gallon and a half of cold brew decaf (the only coffee I will drink), added cream, and chocolate syrup, and everclear to make it an 6% brew. Charged it with CO2 briefly and put in 60 psi of nitrogen. Turned out to be a well loved "brew", however the cream tended to curdle a bit....... Not a real problem. A bit of reading revealed that increasing the PH (lower acidity) would alleviate this issue, so the second batch got baking soda added until I liked the PH.... about 2 teaspoons........ Problem solved.

I now have a keg of "Kick Ass Mocha" on tap in the fridge........ at home. They drank the first keg I cranked the second keg up to 8% because you could not detect the alcohol in the first.... this one leaves no doubt about what it is. It doesn't "sneak up on you"

H.W.

does it pull more of a kaluah or like baileys flavor or is it just like regular coldbrew?

Back