8 Days and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobaina

Reaction score
So I got a Christmas Ale kit (extract) from my LHBS. Pitched 11.5oz of rehydrated US05 last Sunday and set it at about 62F. It started slow, and continued slow, but it has now been 9 days and this morning it was still slowly bubbling. I increased to 68F on the fourth day. There is 1 pound of honey in there, which I am guessing has something to do with it. Is this long, slow fermentation a good thing, or a bad thing?

have you used a hydrometer? bubbles just mean gas is escaping. really tells you very little about fermentation. 62f is cool so the yeast will work a bit slower then 65-68f. most ales with US-05 yeast will be fermented out in 3-4 days and most people go 2 weeks in the fermentor before doing anything with it.

I have not popped the lid to take any readings yet. My plan was to leave it in there for 3weeks. I have just never had one bubble past day 4 or so.

There is nothing wrong with a long fermentation, and the addition of honey will take some time for the yeast to consume. Raising the temp to 68 should speed it up a bit.

I agree with the above. You should take a gravity reading at 2 weeks, to give you a baseline to measure against. Then again every couple days afterwards to be sure when the beer is ready.

I also leave my beer in the primary FV until 3 weeks has passed, and longer if needed to clear a bit and let the yeast clean up.

Back