8.9 cu ft freezer at Lowes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought this one on 1/18 for $268 (non-sale price), so maybe that is the new price.

We're actually using it for food (gasp!).

If I remember correctly from my very first chest freezer odyssey, they're pretty much all made by the same company and then American firms brand them, which is why every brand of chest freezer has the same sizes available. I THINK, but am not sure, that they come from overseas, so if your goal is to buy American, you're going to have to go pretty far into the craigslist appliance wayback machine. Sorry to disappoint :(

Most freezers are made in St. Cloud, MN. Big plant there that I worked at years ago. Not sure of all the brands they make anymore but when I was there they produced 90% of freezers in the US and about 60% in the world.

I don't do lagers... yet. I love and specialize in ale world. However, I've been thinking of doing some lagers in the near future- is this particular freezer the best value? Also, do they come equipped with the ability to hold at 40 and 50 degrees or will I need to install a different thermostat?

They might have lowered the ones at Lowe's to compete with all of Sear's on sale?

O.T.:
We have an Kenmore 8.8cf. chest freezer (for food) and I was looking for something around that size for my keezer...
SWMBO was not happy with me about all the $$$ so MY solution was this:
(She was never overly in love with the chest freezer. An upright is far easier to organize food in). So I bought an uprite for her and I get the chest freezer! :D
It's wierd though because I spent close to twice the amount on an uprite that I would have (on a chest freezer) and she complained 1/2 as much! I can live with inversely proportional complaining tho! :D
Now I just need to finish my newest batches so I can keg them! :)

Back