7CuFt Magic Chef build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedEagle

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been scouring this forum for a while while looking for ideas to finally build my own keezer. I've had a 2 tap OTS kegerator for a while but really wanted to make something of my own. When a coworker was getting rid of a 7cu ft freezer I finally pulled the plug. Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Here is the donor freezer as I start to build out the base.

IMG_20200516_140806.jpg

bottom skirt built out.
IMG_20200607_163845.jpg

Decided to not use the original top and build my own incorporated into the collar.

IMG_20200602_193552.jpg

Getting the taps lined up.

IMG_20200606_161543.jpg

Foam insulation and HVAC tape for the inside.

IMG_20200614_154104.jpg

Decided I wanted to do a "penny table" for the top. Below are the pics from concept to completion along with the final epoxy top.

IMG_20200612_191213.jpg

IMG_20200612_203234.jpg
IMG_20200627_140839.jpg

stained and poly'd bottom skirt

IMG_20200614_113850.jpg

Final out in the sun.
IMG_20200628_144233.jpg

Still have to wire up the Inkbird and get my tubing cleaned up but hopefully she'll be chilling kegs by this weekend!!

Thanks! Knowing that I'll be leaving it in my garage I decided it was best to let it breathe!

Update: Got the inkbird and tubing complete. Also put on some heavy duty spring loaded hinges from an Electrolux unit!!
IMG_20200707_182340.jpg

IMG_20200710_160537.jpg

Finally operational and pouring great!! Thanks for all the inspiration on this site!
MVIMG_20200710_160705.jpg

That looks great! Very similar to what I want to do. A several questions (sorry)...

1) What wood and stain did you use?
2) What did you use for trim around the top and how did you attach it? I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
3) What insulation did you use and how thick? Any issues with foaming on the first pour?

Last edited:
That looks great! Very similar to what I want to do. A several questions (sorry)...

2) What did you use for trim around the top and how did you attach it? I'm having a hard time figuring it out.
3) What foam did you use and how thick? Any issues with foaming on the first pour?

I'm not OP, but the trim looks like crown molding.

Had to do a double take on question 3... You went from "what foam" to "any issues with foaming" and I'm thinking I didn't see any spray foam, just insulation boards. 🤔

I'm not OP, but the trim looks like crown molding.

Had to do a double take on question 3... You went from "what foam" to "any issues with foaming" and I'm thinking I didn't see any spray foam, just insulation boards. 🤔
I guess just crown molding that's raised up a little? Haha! I'll reword my post to be more clear.

3) What insulation did you use and how thick? Any issues with foaming on the first pour?

The wood is common board pine that I used a walnut stain on and then about 10 coats of poly with some sanding in between.
The top is 3/4" plywood and then some oak trim (also walnut stain and poly) around the edge to give me a lip for the resin pour.
The foam board is standard pink 1" board from Home Depot. I covered the entire inside with HVAC tape.

I originally planned to add a fan to the inside to help circulate the air but I have had no issues with foaming. It stays in my garage where it is currently around 90 degrees most days. I.m running 10.5' of beer line and keep my pressure around 10-12.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Back