74% efficiency with no sparge brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Ok, so i have been doing full volume, no sparge brewing for 6 months now.
I thought that my efficiency was 68% which i thought was credible.... Untill now.
I recently remember that working out my volumes were wrong, and realised that im ending up with 26 litres,post boil for a 5 ( UK ) Gallon batch instead of 23 because of my 3 deadspace in my boiler.
So i made a pilsner the other day With 5.5kg of pils malt and 250grms of torrified wheat and ended up with an OG of 1.050 at 26ltr giving me 74% eff which i think is great for no sparge.

I dont do a mashout, however i recirculate the mash for 25 mins before draining, and generally mash for 90-120 mins because of the thinner mash.
Makes me wonder why i used to sparge and make my brew day that little bit longer

That happened to me as well. I think it has to do with ensuring that all the grain was fully saturated. Even small dough balls hurt in a thick mash.

Back