72 hrs and it's still at 1.020.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgesp1

Reaction score
I have taken hydrometer readings in the past three days, and all three have read a F.G. at 1.020.

Top of wort is very clear now, hardly any foam. What might have stopped the fermentation, even though the airlock keeps bubbling?

Is it time to just rack to secondary and live with less Alcohol?

My O.G was 1.060

It'll probably drop a few more points. I'd cover it back up tightly, gently swirl it around and wait a few more days. In about 3-4 days, you may want to rack it if you're using a secondary. Depending on the OG, the yeast, and the recipe, you may be about done.

It'll probably drop a few more points. I'd cover it back up tightly, gently swirl it around and wait a few more days. In about 3-4 days, you may want to rack it if you're using a secondary. Depending on the OG, the yeast, and the recipe, you may be about done.

I agree, give it a little stir and wait a couple more days.

I had this same problem, and stirred and the bubbler went crazy for a day then completly stopped.

I didn't see any specifics (recipe, ferment temp, yeast strain). Without ay other info I'd check:

The temp, if it got too cold the yeast could have went dormant.

Sometimes racking into the secondary will wake them up. I have had high final gravities kick back in in the secondary and clean up a bit.

Warmth and agitation will usually wake up a sluggish yeast.

I checked my first batch yesterday because I hadn't seen any air lock activity in 4 or 5 days and the gravity was 1.020. I put the lid back on took out the air lock and covered with some sanitized wrap and shook the fermenter. Cleaned and sanitized the airlock and put it back in. This morning there's not much activity but it looks like the yeasties are back in business

I didn't see any specifics (recipe, ferment temp, yeast strain).

Let's have that before we start talking about suckage. Depending on the recipe and yeast strain, it could very well be as done as it's going to get.

Cheers,

Bob

I didn't see any specifics (recipe, ferment temp, yeast strain). Without ay other info I'd check:

The temp, if it got too cold the yeast could have went dormant.

Sometimes racking into the secondary will wake them up. I have had high final gravities kick back in in the secondary and clean up a bit.

Warmth and agitation will usually wake up a sluggish yeast.

White Labs Californa Ale

1.060 O.G.

66-68 F fermentation temp.

So, should I rack to secondary in hopes it wakes the yeast up?

Since this is a stout, should I just leave it in primary for about a week after fermentation has stopped just to clean it up a bit.?

I'm not aiming for clarity, so I think I'll skip a secondary.

Yep, just keep it in the fermentor for 3-4 weeks and you'll be fine. Unless you are dryhopping or adding other things post fermentation, secondary is not necessary.

Yep, just keep it in the fermentor for 3-4 weeks and you'll be fine. Unless you are dryhopping or adding other things post fermentation, secondary is not necessary.

Why 3 weeks to condition in Primary? Will you get off flavors if you condition more in the bottle than a fermenter?

Why 3 weeks to condition in Primary? Will you get off flavors if you condition more in the bottle than a fermenter?

After the yeast complete fermentation, they go back and clean up other compounds produced during the process (mainly acetylaldehyde and diacetyl)...they need around 2-3 days to do this.

And I just leave it in primary because a) I'm lazy and b) minimize the extent to which I'm exposing my fermented beer to oxygen, which would happen if I were to rack to another vessel. 3-4 weeks in primary and my beer is as clear as it would be if I had bulk aged in secondary.

You won't get off flavors in the bottle, per se, but you may have a lot more yeast in solution than if you were to let it clear out in the fermentor.

Can you bottle earlier? Yes, however I have found I get the best results if I give it 3 weeks before bottling. That gives time for the yeast to metabolize some of the compounds they produced during the hectic ferment that can cause some off-flavors. And it give time for the yeast and other particles to settle out of the beer and leave a clearer beer. It also gives time for the flavors to mellow and meld producing a better tasting beer.

Then once you bottle and give it 3 weeks to carbonate you will have some great beer. 1.020 is not a bad FG for a stout. It will be a nice rich beer.

Craig

Can you bottle earlier? Yes, however I have found I get the best results if I give it 3 weeks before bottling. That gives time for the yeast to metabolize some of the compounds they produced during the hectic ferment that can cause some off-flavors. And it give time for the yeast and other particles to settle out of the beer and leave a clearer beer. It also gives time for the flavors to mellow and meld producing a better tasting beer.

Then once you bottle and give it 3 weeks to carbonate you will have some great beer. 1.020 is not a bad FG for a stout. It will be a nice rich beer.

Craig

Let's just say I'm stuck with a F.G. of 1.020, now don't I have to use much less priming sugar, because there is still a bit of fermentables the yeast did not eat?

Let's just say I'm stuck with a F.G. of 1.020, now don't I have to use much less priming sugar, because there is still a bit of fermentables the yeast did not eat?

I would use the normal amount of priming sugar you usually use. Your SG is a little high, but it is made of up sugars that the yeast don't want to ferment. I wouldn't rely on that to carbonate your beer.

Swirl the carboy a bit, maybe allow it to warm up to around 70 - 72 and see if that kicks anything else off. Just let it sit for a few weeks and then test SG and bottle. You should be fine.

Back