72 hours...no action...I know what is wrong now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

I posted yesterday about my coopers kit having no action after 48+ hours. One of you asked me which type of yeast. I called the LHBS and they told me it was Saflager yeast, with a proper temp of 7-15 Degrees C. I pitched and am storing at 21+ degrees C as the Cooper kit states. I think I will goto the LHBS and have them give me my money back for the kit/Yeast/Dextrose I bought...however in the mean time should I pitch the coopers yeast that came with the kit or is it to late? If I should pitch I was just planning on opening the bucket and quickly sprinkling it dry ontop and recovering....any issues with that?

Thanks !!

Davew

Well, you wouldn't have killed the yeast at the wrong temperature- it still should show signs of fermentation. It might not taste great fermented that high, but it wouldn't kill it.

Do you have a hydrometer? Can you take a reading, just to see what the SG is now?

When you open the bucket, what do you see?

Yeah I have a hydrometer. I will open it up tommorow and take a sample. One issue I had when taking the OG reading was I had a hard time finding a jar high and thin enough that the hyrometer wouldnt sit on the bottom. What do you guys normally use so you dont have to wast alot of beer? Could I just sterilize the hydrometer and put it in the bucket ?

So any sense in pitching the other yeast if I dont see anything or if gravity has not increased?

Using the tube the hydrometer came in has always worked for me. Fill it to the top and drop it in.

That temp definitely didn't kill the yeast. I pitched saflager yeast at 96 F and fermented it the entire time at 70 F and it actually turned out pretty good.

Back