72 Hours later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DArsenault

Reaction score
So I brewed a 5 gallon batch about 72 hours ago. For the first 48 hours or so, the airlock showed no signs of activity, not a single bubble. Around 48 hours, there was very weak, very minor bubbling for about 15 minutes or so, then nothing since then. I know that airlock activity doesn't need to occur, for fermentation to be occurring, but for a new brewer it was obviously a little concerning. So I popped off the airlock and took a look inside, but honestly I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I brew in 5 gallon buckets, so I can't actually see the different stages of fermentation. I searched on here, but all I could really find are other people who thought they may have an infected batch. I'm not sure if a pictorial exists showing the various stages of fermentation, but it would be a great resource to have.
Anyway, I thought I would post some pictures to see if anybody who knows what there looking for can give me a little peace of mind. I snapped the first pic through the airlock, I didn't want to pop the lid for sanitation purposes, and the other pic was a shot of the side of the bucket, the lighter shadow is the foam and the darker is the beer(hopefully).
WVSaLht.jpg

Vv35wbX.jpg

If any one has any input I would really appreciate it. Also if it is fermenting, any idea why the non-existent airlock activity? I have the bucket in a swamp bath, and no bubbles have appeared there, so I don't think Co2 would be escaping from somewhere else.
Thanks.

Some bucket lids,like the Brewer's Best Ale Pail don't have seals in them. Mine will bubble rather normally,but still leaks krausen around the lid. Sticky mess on those ribs around the top.
You've got a good krausen going there...with the resulting "ring around the collar". Stop worrying,it's doing fine.

That all looks very normal and good. Now start planning your next brew :D

Looks like beer to me. The formation of krausen is a better sign than any (or lack of any) airlock activity. Like Pug said, start planning your next brew!

Latest posts

Back