70% isopropyl alcohol Dripped into Carboy on Accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Leon

Reaction score
Hi
I usually wipe my plug and airlock with 70% isopropyl alcohol I let it air dry with no problem. However I noticed this time when I put the airlock and plug on the carboy a drip going into my brew. I took the plug and airlock off thinking maybe it was some water from the airlock but when I wiped the surfaces it smelled of rubbing alcohol, which must have gotten trapped in the rubber plug or airlock. I would say maybe 5 or 7 droplets fell into my small 2.5 gallon batch and wondering if I should let it ferment out or just toss it? This was more of a experiment batch, so I wouldn't be to upset if I had to scrap it. Any help would be much appreciated.
-Mike

No, he's suggesting the impact of a few drops of isopropyl alcohol in 2.5 gallons of beer is dismissible.

I concur, fwiw...

Cheers!

i've used grams of isopropyl esters, still alive.....LD50 is like 7 grams a killo of body weight....

and they use benzyl alcohol for mouthwash, which has a LD50 of like 5 grams a kg

From the link, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, but, I'm no toxicologist, so I'm not really comfortable making a suggestion one way or another. Lots of info in there, though. LD seems to be about 100ml for a 150lb adult, the ethanol in the beer probably makes it less impactful, but I didn't spend enough time to read on all the ways it metabolizes.

Back