Quantcast

70% isopropyl alcohol Dripped into Carboy on Accident

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Michael Leon

Reaction score
Hi
I usually wipe my plug and airlock with 70% isopropyl alcohol I let it air dry with no problem. However I noticed this time when I put the airlock and plug on the carboy a drip going into my brew. I took the plug and airlock off thinking maybe it was some water from the airlock but when I wiped the surfaces it smelled of rubbing alcohol, which must have gotten trapped in the rubber plug or airlock. I would say maybe 5 or 7 droplets fell into my small 2.5 gallon batch and wondering if I should let it ferment out or just toss it? This was more of a experiment batch, so I wouldn't be to upset if I had to scrap it. Any help would be much appreciated.
-Mike

OP
Michael Leon

Michael Leon

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for the link are you suggesting to toss it?

day_trippr

This space for rent
Reaction score
No, he's suggesting the impact of a few drops of isopropyl alcohol in 2.5 gallons of beer is dismissible.

I concur, fwiw...

Cheers!

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A few drops won't hurt. But you might want to rethink the isopropanol thing for airlocks, as a bunch of that stuff getting sucked in wouldn't be good.

Starsan or cheap vodka will do the trick.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've used grams of isopropyl esters, still alive.....LD50 is like 7 grams a killo of body weight....

and they use benzyl alcohol for mouthwash, which has a LD50 of like 5 grams a kg

Apimyces

Hop breeder
Reaction score
From the link, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, but, I'm no toxicologist, so I'm not really comfortable making a suggestion one way or another. Lots of info in there, though. LD seems to be about 100ml for a 150lb adult, the ethanol in the beer probably makes it less impactful, but I didn't spend enough time to read on all the ways it metabolizes.