7 v 15 day dryhop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
Left on a weeklong trip today. Realized I forgot to bottle a batch of house session ale I had in secondary before leaving the house. It had already been dryhopping for 7 days on an ounce of Cascade. Was planning to bottle before leaving. This is only my 4th batch of beer, and only second time dryhopping. I know it's not gonna be ruined but what can I expect in terms of effect on flavor due to the extra week?

5 gallon batch
OG-1.050
FG-1.012
1 oz Pearle @ 45
1 oz Cascade @ 10
Sitting in the basement around 58*

although i have no personal experience with this, the fear of leaving the dry-hops in for too long is that a grassy or vegetal flavor can be extracted.

luckily 1 oz of cascade isn't a huge dry-hop and depending what else you have going on in the beer there may be plenty to cover up any grassiness. i suspect your beer will be fine.

once and it's ready and you taste it, please report back letting us know what the impact was. i'm curious to see if a long dry-hop does have a flavor impact.

I usually dry hop for 4 days, tops. I have dry hopped about anywhere between 30 days and 2 days. I've found 3-4 days gives me the best return. Anything above 10 days seems to start dipping into those grassy flavors. And it's not grassy in a pleasant sense at all. It's an off-putting bitterness that completely swallows up the other hop flavors that may have been there.

Back