7-Tap Black Iron Pipe Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This keezer looks amazing...I have an old one I am looking to do somthing similar. You have just inspired me to get off my ass and complete it.

I have been using you and Philipct for inspiration.
Ive built my dolly and my cover. Now on to decorating the exterior and lid. Then pipe, plumbing, and wiring. Wanting it done before Christmas.

What are the lengths of the 3" pipes?
And if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you?

The only thing I don't like about this build is the custom tap handles. Give those another try. Get a little more creative. At least use a nice chunk of hardwood instead of stud pine.

The only thing I don't like about this build is the custom tap handles. Give those another try. Get a little more creative. At least use a nice chunk of hardwood instead of stud pine.

Thank you for the observation! For 2 reasons:
1. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
2. Your post gives me ammunition when I tell the wife the taps and tap handles need updated!

Sam: congrats on getting into Zymurgy! Your build is fantastic and matches your décor perfectly. Hope you had a great time tonight at Owens!

Cheers!
Tony

Are those Intertaps? I've been looking at them for some time on morebeer... From what I've read there seems like they are as good as Perlicks, if not better, only not many reviews as they seem to be new on the market. How do you like them?

Way better than the ones I had. I've never had or used perlicks so I have no comparison. But the normal (less expensive) ones I had foamed a lot and I was wasting a lot. These pour with a perfect head. I even fill little 5oz Belgian taster goblets with no problem too.

That's a beautiful build. I'm guessing you used the metal patch that the taps connect to (instead of threading them through the side of the pipe) in order to make swapping lines and assembly a bit easier? It seems like this way you don't have to thread/unthread any pipe to change a line. I like that!

Are those miniature billiard balls or do you have giant hands???

I made pool ball tap handles too, I'm surprised they aren't more common. I bought the brass threads too but just wound up tapping threads into the balls directly.

Looks really good. I may 'steel' this tower idea to use on a bar back type fridge in our basement kitchenette.
One thing I would change, just visually for me, I don't like the look of the 3 sections, especially when it translates to 3 different drip trays. Is there any particular reason you split them up?

I noticed on phillipCT's thread, same tower as yours, the exact same thing right away; he had a recessed drip tray in the fridge top, and his flanges went over the top of it a little bit. I'm thinking I will put all taps in between two towers with elbows. A single cross pipe allows for 1 drip tray to fit without interference anywhere.

How heavy is that thing? Easy to lift the keezer lid? I see your safety chain there, good idea. I imagine you need a lot of clearance behind keezer when opening the lid. This is swaying me towards a front open, bar back type fridge, as I don't think I could make that work in the space I'll have.

I glanced at grainger and quick math showed a 2' cross pipe, 2 elbows, 2 flanges, and 2 risers about $400, all in 3", does that sound about right? Would you say 4" would have made it any easier, or that 2" would have made it harder?

Is the gray flex pipe going up into tower for cooling? Do you not need to cool the other side?

This looks awesome. I am trying to finish up my Keezer but I am having issues with my tower. I want to do the iron pipe but not sure if I can make faucets work with 2 inch pipe. Any suggestions?

Looks really good. I may 'steel' this tower idea to use on a bar back type fridge in our basement kitchenette.
One thing I would change, just visually for me, I don't like the look of the 3 sections, especially when it translates to 3 different drip trays. Is there any particular reason you split them up?

I noticed on phillipCT's thread, same tower as yours, the exact same thing right away; he had a recessed drip tray in the fridge top, and his flanges went over the top of it a little bit. I'm thinking I will put all taps in between two towers with elbows. A single cross pipe allows for 1 drip tray to fit without interference anywhere.

How heavy is that thing? Easy to lift the keezer lid? I see your safety chain there, good idea. I imagine you need a lot of clearance behind keezer when opening the lid. This is swaying me towards a front open, bar back type fridge, as I don't think I could make that work in the space I'll have.

I glanced at grainger and quick math showed a 2' cross pipe, 2 elbows, 2 flanges, and 2 risers about $400, all in 3", does that sound about right? Would you say 4" would have made it any easier, or that 2" would have made it harder?

Is the gray flex pipe going up into tower for cooling? Do you not need to cool the other side?

The lid is heavy. But with the chain it stays open/balanced perfectly with the hinges already in the freezer unit itself.
The pipe I used was 3” and I would have liked to do 3.5 or 4”. $400 sounds about right. I think my total was $350ish. Sorry for the delay! Good luck!

IMG_1526761868.833974.jpg

Added a glass rinser!

Back