7# Pale LME instead of Wheat LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A4J

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered a Belgian Wheat kit and it was supposed to come with 7# of Wheat LME, but they sent 7# pale LME. It just came today and I plan on calling them to get it straightened out, but I'm afraid the Wheat LME won't get here until next week and I really really want to brew this weekend (I've already put it off for 3 weeks). The nearest LBHS is 2 hours away so that's not much of option.

Which of these should i do?
- use the pale LME instead of wheat LME?
- wait until the replacement gets here, which will most likely be next week?
- raise holy hell with the mail order brew store and demand they send me the replacement via overnight shipping?
- drive out to LHBS and get some wheat LME which will cost me $34 in gas?

You can't really make a wit if you don't have the proper ingredients so I think I would ask them to send your replacement malt 2nd day and you should have it by the weekend. They may let you keep the mistaken malt extract so if you have some other grains and hops you could make a nice pale ale.

I know it doesn't help with your current situation, but you should consider keeping a small stock of ingredients on hand. Nothing crazy...a few pounds of DME, a few pounds of your favorite crystal, a few ounces of hops, some dry yeast. With just a couple oz of Cascade and a packet of Nottingham, you could brew a nice pale ale this weekend and your wheat beer once the LME arrives.

Also, consider joining a local brewclub. If I were to find myself short on ingredients, or had an equipment failure, there are dozens of people in my club I could call upon who'd be happy to help out. In addition to being a lot of fun, a club is a great safety net.

Yeah, I didn't really think I can sub out the pale LME for wheat LME.

I actually do have a small stock of backup ingredients and I can actually brew up a pale ale but I really had my heart set on the wheat.

I think the nearest brewclub is an hour and a half away. I have a few friends that used to brew but none of them are active. The only ones here that are brewing are friends of friends of friends. Maybe I'll start up a brewnetwork (as opposed to a brewclub).

If I can't get satisfaction from the online place, I think I'll drive out to san diego.

An excuse to spend a day in San Diego? My idea of a problem. Love that city. Lived there back in the late 70's.

Go get the wheat LME. If Square Pan Pizza is still there, have a slice for me. Then go home & brew.

grrr... cell phone lines and land lines are down this morning. Internet was down earlier too, but that's back up now so I was able to shoot an email to them.

I guess I'll be headed to San Diego this weekend.

On the upside, the starters I made yesterday are taking off like crazy (and that's why I need to get the Wheat started!)

Back