7 month expired Coopers Draught - Worth making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azcona14

Reaction score
Hello,

Slowing getting into the Homebrewing world and beginning with extracts.

As the tittle indicates, I have let go an extract kit that it is now 7 months beyond its expiration date. Is it worth making?

I figure I would ask to avoid all the work…

Regards,

Antonio

It'll be a bit darker than fresh,& the flavor will be a bit different. But at 7 months,not by much. The flavor is usually good,just different.

Unless the can is swelling, it's good to go. As they age, the malt extracts tend to take on a bit of a molasses taste. But unless you've brewed with expired malt extract before (I know I have!), you won't notice it.

Also, make sure you get some fresh yeast. S-04 would be awesome. The yeast under that cap is dead as Dillinger.

The yeast can still be used,just make a small starter for it. I went to my LHBS for supplies once & got a 2 year old Cooper's OS Lager can & didn't look at the date. I made a starter for the yeast that sat for about 4 hours till pitch time. The OS lager can came out looking & tasting like a session version of the salvator doppel bock we enjoy so much. It's called summer ale in my gallery. So never say never...:tank:

Latest posts

Back