7 Days into Dry Hopping and...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Now there is airlock activity.

I plan on bottling tomorrow but I checked today to see if the hops had started settling and I saw now that the airlock is bubbling away about once every 10 seconds.

There was no activity prior to my vacation which was Sunday to today.

I'll take a hydrometer reading tomorrow but could this really be fermentation or just the hops causing CO2 to escape the solution?

Right now there are small hop particulates lined up on the ridges in the carboy and a good deal on the bottom. Right now there is just a tiny top layer left that refuse to fall. Just don't want any bottle bombs. Primary fermentation was 2 1/2 weeks then I racked to secondary and never disturbed the yeast cake. Last gravity reading was 1.02 whereas OG was 1.071. The 1.02 was stable for several days so I figured it wasn't going to go any lower. Yeast was WLP001.

Edit: Upon second look there are things swirling around and small yeast clusters under the hops. Great, now what? I don't want this to taste like grass. It's been 7 days of dry hopping and now what? The hop additions were 4 oz. 2 oz Columbus, 1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz Centennial. How do I keep this from tasting grassy if I have to wait another week for this to subside? How much aroma will I have lost? What to do from this point? Also, my cleaning and sanitation are top notch, so what's the chance this is a wild yeast infection?

Sounds normal to me. Often during the dry hop, there is some minimal airlock activity. The hop particles sorta floating around are quite normal too. If you have the capability, I would try to cold crash your fermenter to help the hop material to settle to the bottom. This will help in your raking. No worries. :)

I am just worried about the frequency in the bubbles. So still think it's safe to bottle?

I was just confused how after sitting for a week nothing happened and now this is going on. It's not like the temp fluctuated as it's been in the closet at 64* this whole time.

Airlock activity can be caused by a number of things including but not limited to temperature fluctuations, yeast and trub settling, co2 coming out of solution, infection, etc. Take some hydrometer readings if you're concerned about it still fermenting.

Back