7 days in and I think i messed something up... be gentile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoPacket

Reaction score
I'm making my first mead (cause i saw a tiktok video) and i'm not certain if something is wrong or if i a just lack experiance

I am 7 days in and my airlock is bubbling about once every 15 seconds as opposed to the constant bubbles on day 3-4

1 gallon jug
2.5 lbs honey
sliced strawberries
1 sliced dragon fruit
1 campden tablet on initial mix
waited 24 hours before adding yeast
Red Star Premier Classique (rehydrated as per directions on pack then added)

I started getting Yeast reaction within a few hours of adding yeast
I have been stiring/shaking 3 times a day as i was directed by a friend
It Does still bubble, some but is far less than before

There are no terrible smells coming from it (via airlock), it does have a smell in general, but i assume it is normal as there isnt any sort of "egg" smell.

i have Not added any sort of Yeast Nutrients as i wasnt aware of them till yesterday. Should i get some and add them and if so, what kind this far into fermentation?
also, i didnt have a hydrometer till today either (please dont hate me) so i dont have any sort of starting readings.

am i freaking out over nothing or do i need to do something to try and save this mead?

thanks in advanced for the help.

There's nothing wrong, be patient, wait longer and whatever you do, don't add any nutrients now. The yeast cannot take them any more that far into fermentation, they would stay in suspension and ruin the taste

It's normal that fermentation slows down, I mean what do you expect, that it bubbles forever? It's nearly done fermenting, the last bit can take some time though.

Last edited:
It's normal that fermentation slows down, I mean what do you expect, that it bubbles forever? It's nearly done fermenting, the last bit can take some time though.

Thanks for the reply, i think i kept reading about these meads that are going for multiple months and just kinda expected that it would have been a gradual decline and i started to get worried.... I'll set it in the corner and stop looking at it every 5 min now. :)

Thanks for the reply, i think i kept reading about these meads that are going for multiple months and just kinda expected that it would have been a gradual decline and i started to get worried.... I'll set it in the corner and stop looking at it every 5 min now. :)
Hahaha, yes, good idea and I know it is hard to do. So far you did well. You could have done better with a propper nutrient regime, but as you are also having quite some fruits in there, they compensate a bit and provide a bit of nutrients. You are also using a wine yeast, these are usually not as demanding as ale yeasts.

Next one you can do using the Tosna nutrient regime or for an easier way go here and follow the protocol:

https://www.youtobrew.co.uk/mead-making-101

When they say months its total time including fermenting, settling, and clearing. How long it takes the yeast to eat all the sugar will vary by how much honey you started with, what kind of yeast and how happy the yeast is. Generally a couple weeks. When it first starts the yeast will be mostly taking up oxygen and reproducing for the first several hours. Then it will get going more violently as the yeast eat all the sugar and produce co2, which gets released through the airlock. After most of the sugar is consumed the yeast will settle and start to go dormant again because there’s nothing left for them to eat. So less co2 being produced and your airlock slows down.

Airlock activity is not always a good indication of the status of your fermentation. The only way to know when the yeast is really done is to take hydrometer readings. This also tells you how much alcohol is present. You take one reading before adding yeast and another reading at the end. The difference in the readings is your alcohol. Here’s an online tool you can use:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
The rule is your yeast is done (usually) when you get the same final gravity reading on your hydrometer every day for 3 or 4 days.

Last edited:
I'd rack it off the fruit, and put it on a shelf in a cool place for a couple of months and then see how it turned out.

In the meantime, make yourself a quick cyser (apple juice and clover honey) and enjoy that while you're waiting.

First, WELCOME TO THE HOBBY AND THE COMMUNITY!!!
Its always great when new people join, and ask questions. I know I did some stupid stuff early on that could have been prevented had I talked to the community

As others said it sounds like its working just fine the fermentation slows down after about a week usually

I've had hyper yeast pound through 5+lbs of honey in 7 days and had lazy yeast take a month, as long as you are seeing positive pressure in the airlock your good, if you don't have positive pressure then either you have a leak or no fermentation. If you see, or in the case of using a bucket and can't see, hear the bubble rising then you are fine.
-If its not fermenting check the temperature to see if its to cold and adjust its location to get to a better temp
-If its not fermenting and the temp is good try new yeast
-If neither works then you could have a issue with your must that is creating an undesirable environment for the yeast, solving this is case by case though dilution tends to be my go to

But defiantly get a hydrometer and in the future take an initial reading, even if you aren't concerned with the exact ABV of your brew this lets you know if you have a stalled brew or when the brew has stabilized

Again WELCOME!

First, WELCOME TO THE HOBBY AND THE COMMUNITY!!!

Again WELCOME!

Thank you,

I did happen to get a hydrometer and i went ahead and racked off the fruit... it stalled a bit after racking but started back up (very little but some activity).
I did a reading at time of racking and it is currently at a Very even 1.000 now. As of writing this, I get a bubble about once every 2 minutes and i have a temp reading of 76 for the actual liquid temp.

I'm no mead guy, but 1.000 and slow airlock activity seem to go together pretty well. My ciders continue to bubble for weeks after fermentation is done as excess CO2 comes out of solution. Even after racking this last couple gallons there was enough dissolved CO2 to pressurize the gallon bottles on the way home from sloshing.

I would imagine you'll see something similar.

relax, this is supposed to be fun....

KISS principle

why are you shaking your mead 3 times a day? Shake ONCE when you first start to mix and incorporate air and then LEAVE IT ALONE for 1-2 weeks. but stir/dunk your fruit raft twice a day with a sanitized big spoon (not wooden) to wet the fruit and encourage release of Co2

rack off fruit. slap on a bubbler, and leave it alone for a few more weeks or until until it is clear.
leave your yeast to work in peace and don't incorporate any more air.

see the JOAM methods and the BOMM method when you get a bit more experienced.

The reason for shaking was cause i saw something saying to shake it 2-3 times a day. I think the biggest challenge with getting started is that there is just SOOO much info out there and some is 90% good with 10% not so good mixed into it and then learning that things are a little different depending on what you are making and with what ingredients.... its just a lot to take in and then hoping to Not mess up too bad lol

heck, i didnt find this place till 7 days into my first batch haha

update: i have racked it off the fruit and it is mostly sitting with a tiny bit of activity here and there with the airlock. Once every 2-3 min or so. I'll be letting is sit for a while to clear up and see what we have from there.... when i racked it off the fruit, i gave it a tiny taste test... not exactly sure what im looking for as i have never had mead before lol, but it *kinda*reminds me of a wine... sorta? little bitter still but from what i understand, that will all change with time.

Back