7 cu ft Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maussy

Reaction score
This is my first official thread but I have a few replies floating around here. I saw so many keezer builds which really inspired me to build one even though it probably wasn't in my budget. I based my build off of Quaffer's from this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-frigidaire-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-162225/

I picked up a 7 cu ft chest freezer off of craigslist for $70. It was originally white but I painted it with some Krylon Flat Black paint. After that I picked up some 2 x 8 redwood for the collar. Decided to run 3 taps and control it with a Love temperature controller.
I only have a circular saw so most my cuts were good but I did have one bad cut that I had to fill with wood putty. I ended up using a red mahogany stain on the wood and a few coats of clear coat on top of that. One thing Quaffer did that I may do in the future is add some casters, it would be nice to have the taps a few inches higher.
I got some vinyls cut of my brewery logo and put a huge one on top before laying a clear coat over the whole keezer. (If you plan on doing this get 2 people to help you because it can be hard to deal with a sticker that big)
Just connected the collar to the freezer today and will be cutting and gluing the foamboard insulation on tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

photo(29).jpg

photo(27).jpg

photo(26).jpg

photo(25).jpg

photo(31).jpg

Looking great! I really like that black and redwood, very rich looking. What kind of faucets are you going to be installing?

Thanks! Dan I don't have anything fancy just a few economy chrome faucets.

Those are the same type I've had on my kegorator for the last three years and they work fine. I've been pretty happy with the cheapos but having said that have to admit I'm adding more faucets and will be upgrading to perlicks. They aren't cheap so I'll add one at a time. ($45 at Amazon - SS faucet,standard black plastic handle and shank)

I suppose I justified the new perlicks when both tap handles locked up solidly after not using them for a few two-three weeks. But if I'm being truthful what probably changed my mind more is vanity more than anything else. :eek:

The economy faucets work great when used on a regular basis and even if they aren't used often it takes 15-20 minutes to remove the faucets, break them down, clean, sanitize, and put back together.

Can't wait to see the your final product. Keep us posted!

:mug:

Sorry for the long delay. I've been having a lot of trouble wiring my Love Controller directly to this freezer. Tried searching all the keezer threads and couldn't find anything for this this model. I have mine wired up and everything turns on but the compressor doesn't kick off when it's supposed to. Does anyone have instructions/pictures of this freezer wired with a love controller? Also I bought my freezer used on CL for $80 (STEAL) but it didn't come with a wiring diagram. Promise I will post more pictures once I can figure out this wiring.

I finally finished the keezer! Took me way too long, first off I had problems for weeks working out the wiring, then I didn't have the money to finish off all the little things.

My local Home Depot didn't have 1.5" foam in stock so I got 1" and some spray foam. I ended up using too much and not keeping an eye on it, this resulted in warped sides. It doesn't bother me too much.
I covered the foam on the inside with foil tape to allow for easier cleaning.
I have the Eva-Dry dehumidifier, a 4" CPU fan and my probe is in a small mason jar.
Finished! Just waiting to keg my Baltic Porter tomorrow to add to the 3rd tap. So glad this is finally done. Next project is the Fermoire!

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Latest posts

Back