7 C's Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmward21

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these hop pellets (blend of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Cluster, Columbus and Crystal)? I was suggested them from my local HBS as a substitute. I ended up going back and buying the correct hops for the recipe, but now I have 4 oz of the 7 C's. I was going to make an APA with 9#'s LME and 1 # crystal 60 to steep. Wyeast 1056 for a clean finish.

Any thoughts?

I was doing a clone recipe of an ipa and they said this would pack a punch so it could be a replacement, not the same. It ended up being a few weeks before I got to make it and they got the recipe hops in stock so I didn't use the 7 c's.

I picked up half a pound recently from Farmhouse Brewing. I expect they're pretty citrusy and somewhat spicy or "green/dank" tasting - good fodder for an IPA or session ale. I have yet to break into them, but maybe I'll have to give them a go in the pale ale I have planned for this Wednesday...will report back.

but now I have 4 oz of the 7 C's. I was going to make an APA with 9#'s LME and 1 # crystal 60 to steep. Wyeast 1056 for a clean finish.

Any thoughts?

I think you have the start of a good pale ale here. Use your malts as you mentioned. Add 1oz of the 7Cs at 60min for bittering, steep 2oz at 180F for 20-30 mins, then dry hop with 1 oz. You could also do the 2oz at 5 min instead of the steep.

I think you have the start of a good pale ale here. Use your malts as you mentioned. Add 1oz of the 7Cs at 60min for bittering, steep 2oz at 180F for 20-30 mins, then dry hop with 1 oz. You could also do the 2oz at 5 min instead of the steep.

15 min pale ale

I made the above recipe with centennial a couple of months back and liked it a lot. Basically I was going to do the same but with the 7 C's. I cut the hops down from 5 to 4 oz to match the AAU (10.3% vs 7.5%).

I'd like to increase this to a 60 minute boil to extract more hop flavor. I was thinking 1oz @ 60, 1/2oz @ 30, 1/2oz @ 15, 1/2oz @ 5, 1/2oz @ flame out. 1 oz dry hop. I need to purchase beersmith, but right now my only computer is my work laptop so I don't want to download programs onto it. I'd like to keep the ABU to ~40 since I want this to be a session beer (not overwhelming).

I am still a beginner brewer so any advice or changes in the schedule would be appreciated.

Back