7/8" hole in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxmickey

Colin Craft Brewing
Reaction score
So now that I'm past the 1st year brewing, I'm working on tweaking equipment. I realize now that my weldless ball valve is too high and want to lower it. Obviously, I need to fill the hole, but I can't find any 7/8" SS Bolts to seal it up with. I have the silicone 7/8" o-ring. Does anyone have a simple, weldless solution?

Cheers.

So now that I'm past the 1st year brewing, I'm working on tweaking equipment. I realize now that my weldless ball valve is too high and want to lower it. Obviously, I need to fill the hole, but I can't find any 7/8" SS Bolts to seal it up with. I have the silicone 7/8" o-ring. Does anyone have a simple, weldless solution?

Cheers.
Simple but not cheap (as you would have to buy another valve and bulkhead) would be to leave it where it is (permanently closed) and add a new one where you need it.

A quick, easy and ugly methed is to put a carboy bung it the hole with a stainless (or, in a pinch, whatever you have around!)bolt going through it with a nut and washer. Tighten the bolt and nut together and the bung will bulge to seal the hole!
Redtab78 answered you best though, IMO. A longer dip tube is cheap, easy and leaves no unused (and unsightly!) holes.

Back