7.5g sanke keg conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
So a coworker gave me a 7.5g sanke keg that is still in great shape. Here's my question though, with it not being a full size keg is it worth the effort of converting it into a boil kettle with bulkhead and valve? I currently only brew 5g batches but I'd like to upgrade to 10g soon. I know it depends on what I'm brewing but can I boil just 6-7 gallons and then top off to 10g with extra water? Seems like a lot to me.

I use slim 1/4 bbl Sanke's exclusively for fermenters... they work great. BK, HLT, MT... not so much.

Acidrain, What modifications do you use to use the keg as a fermenter? I have been thinking of doing the same but looking for ideas that others use successfully.

If you are strictly using it for 5G batches, they will work, but you need to be careful of boilovers. I brewed with a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer stockpot, and it worked fine with FermCap.

Awesome as fermenters.....and actually they make fantastic E-HLT's. I have one with a 5500w element, and it is much quicker and more efficient because I am not heating a full keg. During the mash, I just refill the HLT and in 20 mins I have 170F sparge water ready to go.

I actually planned on making a 3 gallon system with 3....but ended up sticking with my 1/2 barrel setup. I wish I hadn't cut the tops out, or I'd be using them as fermenters right now!

Back