7-14 Gallon Tank with Glycol Jacket instead of Immersion Coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan.therrien

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the immersion style coils inside most 7-14 gallon conical fermentors.. Is there one with a glycol jacket instead? I can only find them on 1/2bbl upwards..

You could wrap copper tubing around the outside and insulate over that. Probably a crap ton cheaper than buying a jacketed vessel.

Wrapping with copper tubing is effective and much cheaper than the jacketed options out there. That’s what I did with my blichman conical when I went glycol. it is key though to then wrap it well with insulation. Even if your chiller is strong enough to not need it, an uninsulated fermenter will sweat a lot. I had mold problems on the outside of the fermenter and a persistent puddle of water on the floor due to the moisture until I insulated mine.

I’d love one or two of the brewers hardware units, but it’s so expensive and there are other things ahead of that on my wish list

@etk29321 what did you insulate it with?

I built a glycol chiller recently to cool a sanke keg fermenter, with a copper pipe around it. The temperature goes down like I want (I could make it freeze if I wanted to), but the 2 times I used it to cold crash, there was a lot of condensation. I would not lagger with that setup, until I find a good solution.

Ideally, I would be able to remove it every batch I brew, to clean the keg.

I tried camping mats. That helped, but it's still not dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_172951.jpg
    IMG_20200620_172951.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20200711_162659.jpg
    IMG_20200711_162659.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 46
I used the silver bubble wrap looking stuff. — which looks similar to what you have. The insulation needs to be tight around the vessel with no air gap and use aluminum tape (like The real stuff you use on duct work that isn’t “duck tape”) To seal it completely. If there is any space, sealing it will keep it dry by keeping the humidity in the sealed space down and prevent mold growth.

There's Brewtools that's teasing on their Instagram and Facebook about new jacketed conical fermenters.
In the comments of one of their Facebook post they seem to say the smaller one would be 40 liters (8.8 gallons?).

See here and here Brewtools

Latest posts

Back