7-14 Gallon Tank with Glycol Jacket instead of Immersion Coil?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Nathan.therrien

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the immersion style coils inside most 7-14 gallon conical fermentors.. Is there one with a glycol jacket instead? I can only find them on 1/2bbl upwards..

yowzers

Reaction score
You could wrap copper tubing around the outside and insulate over that. Probably a crap ton cheaper than buying a jacketed vessel.

etk29321

Reaction score
Wrapping with copper tubing is effective and much cheaper than the jacketed options out there. That’s what I did with my blichman conical when I went glycol. it is key though to then wrap it well with insulation. Even if your chiller is strong enough to not need it, an uninsulated fermenter will sweat a lot. I had mold problems on the outside of the fermenter and a persistent puddle of water on the floor due to the moisture until I insulated mine.

I’d love one or two of the brewers hardware units, but it’s so expensive and there are other things ahead of that on my wish list

AntoineLeclair

Reaction score
@etk29321 what did you insulate it with?

I built a glycol chiller recently to cool a sanke keg fermenter, with a copper pipe around it. The temperature goes down like I want (I could make it freeze if I wanted to), but the 2 times I used it to cold crash, there was a lot of condensation. I would not lagger with that setup, until I find a good solution.

Ideally, I would be able to remove it every batch I brew, to clean the keg.

I tried camping mats. That helped, but it's still not dry.

Attachments

etk29321

Reaction score
I used the silver bubble wrap looking stuff. — which looks similar to what you have. The insulation needs to be tight around the vessel with no air gap and use aluminum tape (like The real stuff you use on duct work that isn’t “duck tape”) To seal it completely. If there is any space, sealing it will keep it dry by keeping the humidity in the sealed space down and prevent mold growth.