7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am looking into getting this 7.0 cu. ft. chest freezer. I will probably build a false bottom made even with the hump and a collar.

Anyone know the inside dimensions? or how many cornies I can fit in there? Also, how is the cool convected in one of these things? I would like to run a line with a fan from it to a dorm firdge/kegerator next door (recently broken by me).

Yeah I had seen this. I guess I could take off 4 inches (2 inches on each wall)? Or I could go to the store and measure it:drunk:

Most chest freezers have the cooling coils bonded to the interior wall, so the only air movement is due to convection down the wall. A small fan will dramatically improve the circulation and cool your kegs faster.

You shouldn't need to put a false bottom in the chest. In fact, I think it would turn into a fungus farm real fast.

david_42 said:
Most chest freezers have the cooling coils bonded to the interior wall, so the only air movement is due to convection down the wall. A small fan will dramatically improve the circulation and cool your kegs faster.

You shouldn't need to put a false bottom in the chest. In fact, I think it would turn into a fungus farm real fast.

Yeah, I didn't think about the fungus. I was thinking I would build the false bottom if doing so would give me enough space for more stuff.

I was looking at a Whirlpool chest freezer (still looking). I contacted their online customer service and they got back to me right away with the interior dimensions. All of the chest freezers I've seen have the compressor hump on one side, so you should account for that in your sizing.

My 5 cu ft has the hump, but it doesn't 'cost' me anything. That's where the CO2 tank goes. (My first kegger had the tank inside, then I moved it out because it was a pain to get to.) Since it's raised, less of a hassle getting to, checking pressure, etc. The simplest way to check a freezer is to make cardboard circles the size of your cornies and take them to the store. Figure 5 for a 7 cu ft.

IIRC, mine is 7.2 cu foot, and down in the well I can hold 3 ball locks without a collar.

I keep my CO2 and manifold up on the hump, but could fit 1 more on there if I built a collar.

So I went to Home Depot and measured the inside: 26Hx28.75Wx17.25D

So I think I should be able to get 2 cornies in deep and (since the hump sticks put 8.75) 2 in wide leaving the hump free for the tank or put two more on the hump with a collar and the CO2 outside.

Do you think I would be able to fit a 5 gallon better bottle on the hump? I would love to be able to do lagering/cold conditioning in there too.

So if I get this, I should be able to fit at a minimum 4 kegs. I also would like to run some tubing with a fan to a box (dead dorm fridge) to keep it temp controlled for fermentation. Any problems? Thanks for your help.

BTW, what is the diameter of a ball-lock corny? When I search some say 8'' and some say 8.5''

I have a Kenmore 7.4cu freezer and I can cram 3 ball lock cornies, a 5lb cylinder with dual outputs, and about a case of bottles on the hump.

two cornies in back side by side, then one in front staggered (like a triangle shape) with the CO2 to the left of the front corny, next to the hump.

its tight but it worked. my cornies are 8.5" in diameter measuring the black handle area.

Hmm...so 17.25'' deep may be pushing it to fit two. What is the depth of your Kenmore?

I would really like to be able to fit 4 in the bottom and 2 on the hump.

raceskier said:
I was looking at a Whirlpool chest freezer (still looking). I contacted their online customer service and they got back to me right away with the interior dimensions. All of the chest freezers I've seen have the compressor hump on one side, so you should account for that in your sizing.
What model/size:

This is the 9.6 Whirlpool and holds 5 cornies easily. With the collar, I can also store the CO2 inside, but choose to leave it out.

Freezer_WTaps.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Looks like you could squeeze another corny in on top of the hump. Do you know the inside dimensions of yours? Might be about the same foot print as the 7 cu ft I was looking at, but a bit taller. Also, the hump goes across the entire right side, so to put two kegs up there I would need a very tall collar.

Beerrific said:
Looks like you could squeeze another corny in on top of the hump. Do you know the inside dimensions of yours? Might be about the same foot print as the 7 cu ft I was looking at, but a bit taller. Also, the hump goes across the entire right side, so to put two kegs up there I would need a very tall collar.
Damn hops bag got in the way. Actually, this only has a hump in the right rear corner. Five cornies sit squarley on the bottom.

A note regarding David_42's comment on fungus/moisture. Whatever you get, I would put a good quality silicone caulk on all the interior corners. I didn't and within a few months there were traces of rust at the joints. THese things aren't designed to be held in an above freezing environment and as such, there is a lot more condensation/moisture.

david_42 said:
My 5 cu ft has the hump, but it doesn't 'cost' me anything. That's where the CO2 tank goes. (My first kegger had the tank inside, then I moved it out because it was a pain to get to.) Since it's raised, less of a hassle getting to, checking pressure, etc. The simplest way to check a freezer is to make cardboard circles the size of your cornies and take them to the store. Figure 5 for a 7 cu ft.

Since I don't have any kegs yet, what is the diameter of most ball lock cornies? I have seen people say 8'' and 8.5''. I think 9'' is standard for pin lock.

Anyway, I took some plane printer paper (8.5''x11'') to home depot today, looks like I can fit 4 on the floor and 2 on the hump (with tall collar) or one carboy on the hump for lagering.

I think this will work. Now, I have to talk my sister into letting me use her SUV to go pick it up.

Latest posts

Back