68 Brix, now what? (cherry wine)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reubens888

Reaction score
I just got a half gallon of tart cherry juice concentrate the weighs in at 68 brix (which I think is equivalent to SG of about 1.3... I want to make a nice wine from it with quite a bit of cherry flavor, bit not juicy tasting.

Do you think I should just dilute it to a certain gravity, add chemicals and yeast and call it good? Or should I add water and sugar with everything else?

It was expensive stuff so I don't want to waste it. Thanks for your help!

You didn't get instructions on your concentrate?

I'd dilute it to a brix of about 24.

Add yeast nutrient.

Maybe someone else can chime in on acid adjustment, but you'll want to do an acid titration test to know how much acid you have.

No instructions. Got it from Cherry Festival in Traverse City, Mi. The intent is to make your own cherry juice to drink, not ferment... but why not make wine with it? :). Haha

I've never done acid testing...how difficult (expensive) is it to do? Do you do it before or after fermentation?

I did this exact thing about a month ago.

I used 1/2 quart of 68 brix concentrate for a gallon of wine. Added sugar until I reached target OG of 1.096 (about 2.5 cups worth). Added 3/4 cup raisins and pitched Montrachet yeast. I didn't bother to test pH, fermentation started quickly and went like gangbusters for five days or so.

It's now sitting in tertiary after two rackings. About 12% ABV right now. Last time I tasted it was very hot and sharp tasting, but hopefully it will mellow with time.

The acid test kit is about $15, gives you several tests. It's not hard, just follow the instructions.

As an aside, with virtually all fruit other than wine grapes, you will need to add sugar to get the gravity to where you want it. No other fruit that I know of has enough residual sugar to be fermented by itself (if you know of one let me know!).

bk0 said:
As an aside, with virtually all fruit other than wine grapes, you will need to add sugar to get the gravity to where you want it. No other fruit that I know of has enough residual sugar to be fermented by itself (if you know of one let me know!).

Good point! I guess if there were other fruits that had the same characteristics as grapes, they would have made wine out of it 6000 years ago too!

Back