64oz jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHatter

Reaction score
I'm going to use 64 oz'ers for the first time to do part of my bottling this time around. I have the metal lids for the jugs and also the plastic lids. How well do these seal, which is the better and how long is the shelf life?

:mug:

I do not believe you'll want to use these 64oz'ers for long term storage. Between the two choices for lids, I say the plastic. They seal better. After screwing the lids on, it would be good practice to use some "poly seal". I think thats what its called. Basically heat shrink wrap. Its a small bit of plastic and you can shrink it a number of ways, including with a heat gun. That should provide longer storage using the growler sized containers. I am not too sure how long of a storage though. One idea is to try to first flush the O2 out by pumping a bit of co2 in there. Should help a little bit. I think I'm going to start using my growlers as a convenient way to transport my beer to friends places. Carrying the 5 gallon cornie and 20lb co2 tank is not my idea of a good time... unless I emptied a little of the cornie out before hand into my glass. :cross:

david_the_greek said:
I do not believe you'll want to use these 64oz'ers for long term storage. Between the two choices for lids, I say the plastic. They seal better. After screwing the lids on, it would be good practice to use some "poly seal". I think thats what its called. Basically heat shrink wrap. Its a small bit of plastic and you can shrink it a number of ways, including with a heat gun. That should provide longer storage using the growler sized containers. I am not too sure how long of a storage though. One idea is to try to first flush the O2 out by pumping a bit of co2 in there. Should help a little bit. I think I'm going to start using my growlers as a convenient way to transport my beer to friends places. Carrying the 5 gallon cornie and 20lb co2 tank is not my idea of a good time... unless I emptied a little of the cornie out before hand into my glass. :cross:

Beer doesn't last very long around here. I'd say most of it will be gone within two months, max. Surely the growler will hold a seal that long. I was planning to prime it, of course, before bottling. That isn't going to be a problem is it?

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't believe it'll work. The glass is probably too thin and won't withstand the pressure of carbonation.

Anyone else have anything to add to this? I'm showing my inexperience here. What are the growlers designed for if not bottling finished beer?

MadHatter said:
Anyone else have anything to add to this? I'm showing my inexperience here. What are the growlers designed for if not bottling finished beer?

Yes, to hold finished beer, not to carbonate in...;) Finished beer does not build up pressure as the carbonation process does.

Here's a 32oz bottle that's designed to carb in. I've used these with good success several times. The glass is nice and thick. I think it also helps that the neck is narrow, to keep the amount of headspace down. With a growler-style container you'd have to fill it to just under the cap in order to get the same volume headspace. Just a thought.

Back