60 quart pot on a turkey fryer burner stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only guessing here, but I would say that stand will easily hold the 100 or so pounds of a 12 gallon boil. If it makes you feel better, have yourself and a small buddy stand on it as a test...safely please.

I just brewed my first batch with the same turkey fryer, 30 qt. pot, and I have a 60 qt. pot on the way. Interesting coincidence and, needless to say, I am very interested in how it works out for you. Keep us posted.

I have that same fryer kit. It will hold the weight, but you might have a hard time bringing all that liquid to a boil. I just bought a 50qt and did a test with 10g's of water, it took an hour and a half to get above 200*. The problem is the way the pot sits on the stand. The wind gaurd gets in the way of the flame expanding out around the bottom of the pot, and it lifts it a little bit higher away from the burner. this is because the pot sits right on the wind guard. I've decided to go with the SQ-14, and just leave my old burner and pot for Strike and Sparge water. You could also build a wider stand. I would replace the 10psi regulator with a 20psi while your at it, should you decide to go that route.

I just upgraded from that same turker fryer burner to an SQ14 and 60 qt pot. The thing I did not like about the turkey fryer burner is that is has the lip on the stand so that a pot bigger than 12" diameter would not really fit inside the side wall. A 60qt pot usually has a 16" diameter. You could still place it on top, but then it would be sitting only on the very thin sidewall. Or I guess you could put some type of grill on top of it.

Also, a 60qt pot will be significantly wider than the turkey fryer burner stand. I am sure some people don't have a problem with that, but I was not comfortable with it. If the scenario didn't involve a big flame tied to a propane tank I would be less concerned.

I was not comfortable with it. If the scenario didn't involve a big flame tied to a propane tank I would be less concerned.

I'm no stranger to a big flame next to a propane tank. I use a torch to apply modified bitumen roofing. When it's cold and the tank freezes I torch the tank. I've done that brewing as well. I've even added the torch under the brew pot for some extreme heat. :D

Conroe,
I bought a 5-60 PSI regulator kind of like the one in your picture. Did you cut off the end of the hose and use a clamp with some type of adapter? How did you do that? Do you remember what the adapter was? My regulator won't fit as is.
Joe

I have that same kit, bought from Home Depot even. It works great with a keggle on top. Holds the weight of even 15 gallons just fine, and will get everything to a boil in 30-40 minutes. I did add a BBQ grill so that it will fit a keg better. But with a flat bottom kettle you shouldn't have to do that.

DSCF0154.JPG

Conroe,
I bought a 5-60 PSI regulator kind of like the one in your picture. Did you cut off the end of the hose and use a clamp with some type of adapter? How did you do that? Do you remember what the adapter was? My regulator won't fit as is.
Joe

You need a left hand thread 1/4 in. NPT to 1/4 in. hose barb (I think.) I just had one. I think you can find one at a propane store. I believe Amerigas has them here.

Well I looked all over for a 1/4" NPT to hose barb left hand thread and couldn't get one. The propane equipment stores in town wouldn't sell it to me anyway. They said the hose and clamp wasn't safe. So I just used my original regulator and burner and boiled 14 gallons of water in about 45 minutes from 150 degrees. It's a little slow but it doesn't matter that much to me on brew day. If I can save an extra day of brewing (5+ hours) with a 10 gallon batch and it takes 45 minutes longer for the boil I'm still good. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a better burner on sale. Thanks for your help.

I tested out the 60 quart pot on the burner tonight to put the oxidizing layer on the pot. I filled it within a couple inches of the top, 14+ gallons, and brought 70F water to a boil in about 57 minutes, with around 40F ambient temperature. I suspect that if I had opened the valve fully it would have gone even faster. I don't anticipate any problems bringing 6.5 gallons to a boil for a 5 gallon batch.

My keg overhangs the burner a little. Here's my solution.

1620052.jpg

The bricks stop it from rocking, hold some of the weight, and act as a bit of a wind screen too.

If any of all the posted burner stands posted above were mine I would weld some stock like 8 to 10 gauge by 3/4" wide a couple inches from the ground to each leg. This to prevent any spreading of the legs or a possible sudden leg colaspe under the weight of a full keg. A full boiling keg falling in your direction and it's hospital time, and why? JMO here.

My brother-in-law came over and put the new regulator on correctly. He's a propane/oil tech. It boiled 14 gallons from 50 degrees in an hour at 32 degrees outside. I paid him with pale ale and oatmeal stout. There's a guy at work who will put a couple of supports on the legs for a couple oatmeal stouts. I might take him up on the offer.

Back