60 Minute Boiling times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imprez25

Reaction score
When we say "boil for 60 minutes" what does that time include? Does it include the time you take the wort off of flame to make additions and then the time it take to get bring it back to a boil? Or do you stop the clock for those times and wait until you get back to boil and only count the actual "boiling" time?

example: bring water to boil, start the clock. remove from flame to add LME/DME plus first hops, 5 minutes to get back to boil, at 15 minutes removed from boil and add second hops/late extract, another 5 minutes to bring back to boil, 5 minutes left add last hops, 0 minutes add any late LME/DME additions or any additional hops.

in this example you have 60 minutes + 10 minutes to bring the wort back to boil for a total time from the initial boil of 70 minutes, or you have a total time of 60 minutes and count the time off of the flame as "boiling" time.

Thanks

(let me know if this doesn't make any sence or if I am being too picky with my timings)

I start the 60 minute count after I get the boil break (when the wort try's to jump out of the pot) and add my 1st hops. Basically, you are counting 60 mins from your 1st hop addition, which is after it starts boiling with the LME/DME already in.

I don't add the LME / DME at the same time as the hops. I bring the water to about 170 degrees F, remove from flame, add extract, bring to boil then add the hops and start 60 min count. Then you add addiional hops from that point on.

Well, I bring to boil, add LME/DME, bring back to boil and and start the clock at 60 (along with my 60 minute hops). I wouldn't worry about the 5 minutes (if it takes that long) that you're waiting after adding a late addition LME/DME. Someone may have a different opinion (and I'm sure they will chime in) but I just don't think it matters. RDWHAHB!!

Thanks for the responces. It never seemed to be spelled out in any book or recipe that I have read. I didn't think it would make much of a difference.
Thanks again for the clarification.

I personally count actual boil time. This means if I do a late extract addition, I stop the clock until the wort returns to a boil. That's just how I do it, not necessarily the "right" way to do it.

Back