60 Min/90 Min Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ringo311

Reaction score
I'm doing my first AG brew this weekend (BIAB) and I think I have a pretty good method down. I'm trying to run through it in my head and I have some boil questions.

When I start to boil I'm expecting to have about 4.5 gallons of wort which im going to boil down to 3 gallons. The recipe calls for a 90 minute boil. I did a test boil and boiled off right at 1 gal/hr so it should be right around 90 minutes.

My question is, if my boil rate varies, what is stopping me from boiling until I'm exactly at 3 gallons, even if its between 60 and 90 minutes?

I have three hop additions and they are all 60 minutes. What difference does 5 or 10 minutes for the hop additions make - if say they boiled for 50 minutes or 70 minutes. Or can I just put them in after 20 minutes and then take them out after 60 even if the boil continues for 10-15 minutes after that? My biggest concern I guess is that they dont boil long enough.

Thanks!

ChelisHubby

Reaction score
Go ahead and stop the boil at your target volume. the difference in time of the 60 minute addition can vary 10 minutes without a taste difference. once you put the hops in leave them in, this is your bittering hops. Relax if your volume is not right by a quart, you dont need to add water. If the boil takes 85 minutes it does not make a noticeable difference same if it takes 100 minutes. If you are brewing IPA,s or pale ales they have short time additions and those are important as they affect flavor and smell. Make brewing fun and relaxing.:mug:

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
your boil rate wont very. it will always be consistent. go off of that, as just boiling till your target is inaccurate. For one, your volume will go down as the wort cools. and then adding things, like a chiller, will screw with that as well. Your pot will boil off the same amount per hour always. Regardless of the volume in the pot