6 year-old Nose vs. Yeast Starter: Who will win?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoin

Reaction score
So I was letting my kids take a sniff of the yeast starter for my Mild and my daughter, instead of sniffing, blew out of her nose with all her might, right as her nose was at the opening of the jug.

What are the chances of contamination? The incident occurred about 5 hours into the starter and I don't think the yeast had complete control of the wort yet.

Thoughts? Keep going with it or start a new one?

I'd roll with it, personally. I don't get overly anal with sanitation and I've had one bad batch in 15 years.

You could call it the Poco Moco Ale.

She had just come home from her summer camp. Who knows what kind of particles where in her nose from the woods.

Maybe I won't worry. If Rogue can cultivate yeast from the head brewers beard; I guess I can follow suit with a wild yeast from my duaghter's nose.

Worst cad scenario, I'll just call it a sour mild and it won't fit the style. :)

I've had a batch survive a sneeze, directly into the fermenter, from my 2 year old. And that was before I pitched the yeast! At least yours got a head start.

Man I can't wait to have kids ;)

I'm going to say that, despite being anal (me), I think you'll be fine. I've had infected starters from surface contamination, but I doubt your daughter's nose was delivering anything super nasty.

If you chill your starters before pitching for 24 hours (which I very much recommend), you can decant and taste/smell the starter wort. It's not going to be great beer or anything, but you can learn to taste an infection this way before contaminating an entire batch. If it tastes and smells clean, roll with it.

MaddBaggins said:
I'd roll with it, personally. I don't get overly anal with sanitation and I've had one bad batch in 15 years.

You could call it the Poco Moco Ale.

Love it. Poco moco. I lol'd.

Ehh from being a swim coach/teaching swim lessons for about 7 years, I'd say a 6 year old's nose has way too much snot in store for me to feel comfortable pitching that starter into my wort. I vote start a new starter.

Hahahahahahaha!!! I only laugh because I can so relate. My 3 y/o daughter blows OUT of her nose every time I ask her smell anything. Hahaha! Hilarious.

Umm... I'd put money on your starter being 100% fine. Let 'er rip, but go buy a sachet of Safale S-04 or Notty (English Mild, right?), just in case your starter is rank... better safe than sorry.

Back