6 weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is 6 weeks in primary too long? Fairly low ABV beer (1.048 OG) that will be very light in color (a blonde...or cream ale...depending on your definition). Yeast is SafAle S-05.

I had not planned on racking to secondary but I see that schedule will require this beer to go 6 weeks before bottles.

This is just a huge everlasting debate on yeast off flavors etc. I don't think 6 weeks in primary is a big deal at all. Why do you have to wait six weeks to bottle? I would think 2 weeks, cold crash (outside in MI), prime, bottle, 2-3 weeks drink?

it's probably not required, 2 - 3 weeks is all that's needed.

but it also won't hurt anything.

i recently left 3 batches in primary for 2 months (in one case 3 months) because i was on the road.

came home, checked FG, and bottled all three on the same day.

no problemo

will be drinking them all in early April

cosmatics said:
This is just a huge everlasting debate on yeast off flavors etc. I don't think 6 weeks in primary is a big deal at all. Why do you have to wait six weeks to bottle? I would think 2 weeks, cold crash (outside in MI), prime, bottle, 2-3 weeks drink?

I will be out of town. If I only fermented 2 weeks, I might be able to get it in bottles before I leave. I am a noob and this is my first all grain. My thinking is that 2 weeks in ferm is probably not long enough to clear all my mistakes. Am I being overly cautious here?

I guess the options are:

1) bottle at 2 weeks

2) rack to secondary after 2 weeks and let sit in secondary for 4 weeks.

3) leave in primary for 6 weeks.

By the way, there will be a lot of headspace in secondary if I rack. I'm reading differing opinions about whether this headspace in secondary (after fermentation is basically complete) is an oxidation problem.

Sorry, should have clarified that the 6 weeks is not due to anything related to the beer. Traveling out of town is interfering with my brew schedule.

Hey well congrats on 1st all grain brew. I would leave it in primary, come back and bottle it. It will def clear much better in a few weeks, vs. bottling now. Headspace is an issue but generally it will be offgasing c02 for awhile so it should be protected, I wouldn't move it.

Also, I don't know if it matters, but I do not filter out my trub, so all that gunk is in there too. My understanding is that this does not matter, right? The concern (if any) is the beer sitting on yeast too long?

Oh, and this recipe called for vanilla beans in the boil...also still in the trub.

Yeah, none of that would bother me. I've left beer that long in primary, I never whirlpool or even try to rack off the trub. I just dump it all in too. It's easier and takes less time. When I tried whirlpooling, I wasn't impressed with the benefits and I tried varied methods and times waiting for it work better. And adding an hr to AG brew days better make a difference, IMO.

Back