6 lbs Munich and 3 lbs Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I'm cleaning out my fridge from last fall and I have 6 pounds of Munich and 3 pounds of Wheat liquid extracts left. I have a good variety of hops, dry yeast, and base malts, specialty malts, and DME as well. Any suggestions??

first thing that pops into my mind would be dunkelweizen, but you'd need the specialty yeast. 3 lbs munich 3 lbs wheat, an ounce of noble hops for bittering and a hefe yeast would probably make a real tasty brew.

evan! also did a munich/kent goldings SMaSH (single malt and single hop) beer that he seemed to really like.

full disclosure: wheat extract is usually only about 50% wheat. so strictly speaking, that dunkelweizen recipe is a little light on the wheat.

that being said i'm pretty confident it'd have almost the same flavor profile and mouthfeel you're looking for in a "real" dunkelweizen.

full disclosure: wheat extract is usually only about 50% wheat. so strictly speaking, that dunkelweizen recipe is a little light on the wheat.

that being said i'm pretty confident it'd have almost the same flavor profile and mouthfeel you're looking for in a "real" dunkelweizen.

How about adding a little chocolate and crystal malts? Would that help?

well, i bet that would be good to, but i guess my point was that with 3 lbs wheat and 3 lbs munich, you're only at about 25% actual wheat (dunkelweizens are usually up closer to 50).

like i said, i don't think it'd be a problem, with 25 percent wheat and a good hefe yeast i think it'd be great. you could partial mash some wheat malt to bring the balance back towards the wheat side of things, if you wanted. some specialty grains could be nice too, but if you do add chocolate i'd go easy on it. i've found the banana esters to clash with a lot of roastiness in past beers.

well, i bet that would be good to, but i guess my point was that with 3 lbs wheat and 3 lbs munich, you're only at about 25% actual wheat (dunkelweizens are usually up closer to 50).

like i said, i don't think it'd be a problem, with 25 percent wheat and a good hefe yeast i think it'd be great. you could partial mash some wheat malt to bring the balance back towards the wheat side of things, if you wanted. some specialty grains could be nice too, but if you do add chocolate i'd go easy on it. i've found the banana esters to clash with a lot of roastiness in past beers.

I have some torrified wheat... Maybe I'll just skip the chocolate and crystal malts and go with a little Special B and an ounce of Saaz whole hops for bittering- what do you think? I've already ordered some WLP380 (low on banana) that I plan to use.

i've heard that torrified wheat needs to be mashed, and i've also seen at least one recipe where it's just steeped. i'm afraid i've never used it before so i can't be much help there. if i had no info to go on i'd personally probably leave it out but maybe someone here can give you some better advice.

special b is nice but a little usually goes a long way. i'd say maybe 1/4 to 1/2lb would add a nice caramely/raisiny quality without overwhelming.

other than that it sounds great, i'm planning my first weizen of the season and all this talk is making me thirsty:mug:

I have some torrified wheat... Maybe I'll just skip the chocolate and crystal malts and go with a little Special B and an ounce of Saaz whole hops for bittering- what do you think? I've already ordered some WLP380 (low on banana) that I plan to use.

Torrified wheat needs to be mashed. WITH base malt...it doesn't have any enzymes. If you have some base malt, that will make for a great partial mash. Or just wheat extract + chocolate + special b + saaz + wlp380 will make a great dunkelweizen.

Back