6 gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
I have figured out that my girlfriend's father has bought me a 6 gallon pot for homebrewing for christmas (don't worry, i'll still act surprised).

Since i've started brewing, i've only used a 3 gallon pot and done only partial boils.

will i be able to do full boils now or is that one gallon of headroom not enough with a full boil including steeping grains and such???

4 gallons for sure, but put 5 gallons of water in there and eye it for yourself. Taller thinner pots might leave you enough head room, shorter ones might be too risky.

bah i knew it. man, i hate when people get me things cause i always need them so specific. i even asked for 7 gallon minimum or 12 gallon.

oh well. anyone have any suggested uses for a 6 gallon pot?

I'm a newbie here and was wondering what is the best size pot for a full brew?

Keggles are the preferred pots of choice for many members here for 5 and 10 gallon boils. They're also cost effective if you know someone with the right tools to convert a $30 decommissioned keg into a brew pot at material cost.

bah i knew it. man, i hate when people get me things cause i always need them so specific. i even asked for 7 gallon minimum or 12 gallon.

oh well. anyone have any suggested uses for a 6 gallon pot?

Hot liqure tank for your future 3 piece setup.

Keggles are the preferred pots of choice for many members here for 5 and 10 gallon boils. They're also cost effective if you know someone with the right tools to convert a $30 decommissioned keg into a brew pot at material cost.

So these are homemade? I actually have a couple kegs from back in the day, is this what you use to make them? Any instructions on how to do it?

You should be able to boil 5.5 gallons in it without a problem (just keep a spray bottle nearby). I boil 6.5 gallons in my 7 gallon pot all the time.

Problem with a 6 gallon pot is you need close to 6 gallons to allow for boil off doing a full boil to eliminate the need to add water to the fermenter to reach 5 gallons for fermentation. However with the 6 gallon pot you will get better results by having a larger volume of water in your boil kettle at the end of the boil and having to add less water to the fermenter prior to pitching your yeast.

As for a pot, I have found that a shorter but larger diameter pot will yield less boil overs (almost never) then a taller but smaller diameter pot without having to use a spray bottle.

That's true. A larger diameter pot loses more to boil off though, so it's a trade off. When I boil 6.5 gallons, I usually end up bottling about 5.5 gallons depending if I secondary, how many hops I use, etc.

A couple drips of Fermcap-S and boil away. Too simple to be taken seriously I guess.

That's true. A larger diameter pot loses more to boil off though, so it's a trade off. When I boil 6.5 gallons, I usually end up bottling about 5.5 gallons depending if I secondary, how many hops I use, etc.

Ya that is true, my 10G pot it short and wide and I see about the same amount of boil off that you indicated so I adjusted up a gallon as well. But having a nice hot and rolling boil with no boil overs and no need for chemical or manual intervention is nice so the trade off works for me.

It's gonna leave you just a little short for full boils, but you can always top off with just one gallon. Use Fermcap-S and depending on the pot you'll prolly boil off a gallon to a gallon and a half.

Eventually once you get another pot (which I'm in the process of doing now), it'll be perfect for a HLT.

Or... sell it on craigslist and get another one.

Back