6 Gallon Carboy vs. 5 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFamato

Reaction score
Just bought two carboys today from an old homebrewer. They are both 6 gallons. If I do any secondary fermentations will these carboys be fine on a 5 gallons batch. I'm worried once I rack from the primary to secondary there will only be 4 1/2 gallons which leaves a 1 1/2 gallon head space. Is this to much head space? Should I now invest in a 5 gallon?

Only if you lager or do any extended aging. Secondaries aren't needed with most beers.

Brew with these for a while and see how they work with what you're brewing.

That's too much head space for secondary, but you can use them for primary fermentation. You can never have too many fermenters!

I figured that these carboys would have to much head space. Thanks for the quick response.

Great for primary fermentation, less so for secondary.

If you're interested in not doing a secondary, you can search this forum for the pros and cons. Basically many, myself included, only used secondaries for things like lagering and dry hopping. The main purpose of a secondary is to clear beer. Extra time in the primary and lowering the temperature of your beer after fermentation is complete will also clear your beer. And, you don't have to clean an extra vessel, or risk contamination be transferring an extra time. That's my two cents. As others said, you can't have too many primaries :D

Back