6.5 Gallon Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksiepgm05

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gallon carboy that i use for wine. I just put in a summer time ale with a zesty lemon flavoring in the fermentor now. Is it possible to secondary into my glass carboy being bigger? i understand that headspace in a larger secondary is no good? Thanks for the help. The brew is very active right now very low SG at 1.040 but it is a summertime ale. I am sure it will be ready for secondary this weekend maybe. wondering if i need a smaller secondary? your thoughts much appreciated.

The 6.5 gallon carboy will be fine for a normal length secondary. The beer will still be giving off some CO2 which will protect the beer from oxidation.

A larger secondary isn't much of a problem. The only possible issue is that there would be oxygen laying on top of your beer, which could produce off flavors.

However, in my experience when you transfer from primary to secondary you generally get a small revival of the yeast, which should coat the top of your beer with a protective layer of CO2.

I would go ahead and do it. It should be fine, I have used 6.5 carboys for secondary before.

Gedvondur

Back