6.5 gallon better bottle carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I've been using a 6.5 BB for secondary fermentation and wondered if there was any problems in doing that due to the amount of head space?

I siphon over to it and then into a bottling bucket and my beer tastes a little harsher after its in the bottle vs prior to bottling and can't decide if it's just the carbonation of am I getting oxidation.

I've been using a 6.5 BB for secondary fermentation and wondered if there was any problems in doing that due to the amount of head space?

I siphon over to it and then into a bottling bucket and my beer tastes a little harsher after its in the bottle vs prior to bottling and can't decide if it's just the carbonation of am I getting oxidation.

If you don't want to top up with sanitized water then you might consider getting a 5 Lb CO2 bottle and topping the headspace with CO2 gas...then you're one item closer to kegging :)

Why do you go from primary to a secondary then right into the bottling bucket? Why not go right into the bucket and leave the trub behind?

I feel that the beer will create some co2 in secondary. The co2 is heavier than oxygen so your beer has a layer of co2 protecting it even if it was in a 10 gallon vessel.

So, I would not worry about the larger vessel. I think any problem lies elsewhere.

Why not skip the secondary step entirely? Many brewers leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle or keg. I started this after my third or fourth brew and have seen no differences.

Back