6.5 Big Mouth Bubbler - Lid/Thermowell Solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuikJimi

Reaction score
Picked up 4x 6.5g BMBs from Northern Brewer on sale.

Two questions:

1. I am absorbing the vast number of fermentation-related BMB lid pop-off tales here on HBT. Just lost a highly-anticipated IPA to contamination from (oh yes) a Better Bottle knockoff (!) related stopper popping up and allowing air in. You see, the opening is ever so slightly larger than normal and the stopper just slipped up. Didn't see it happen, presumably after transferring to secondary, and now I am a disppointed and determined fella.

I am about to start using these Big Mouths shortly but I am very wary NOT to have the same thing happen with these lids popping off. So what are people using to solve this known issue? Compression straps? Bungee cords? something else altogether?

2. I am also transitioning to use my A419 unit with a thermowell. This requires a dual port on the BMB lid. Does anyone have a solution in place by where the 12" Brewers Hardware Thermowell (http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell-TWS12.html) is effectively used with the A419 Temp Probe? I'm tired of taping it to the side of the carboy, especially in light that these are brand new and pristine. Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,
QJ

I recently fermented a batch in a BMB for the first time. A day or two in, I also encountered the loose lid problem. Fortunately, the mini fridge I'm fermenting in gives me juuuuuust enough room between the freezer space and the top of the BMB lid for a red brick. I wedged two of them (wrapped in foil) on either side of the blowoff tube.

Lid stays on just fine now :)

If you picked up the stopper they recommend, I find that it fits in the lid port very well! That has not yet been a problem. I'm fermenting my second batch right now, and it's in there quite snuggly.

I spoke recently to the NB people and the workaround they suggested was buying a large worm-drive clamp (6" worked for me) and using that to hold cordage or straps over the lid to keep it in place.

PassedPawns solution above will work if you have the rings that came with the original BMB lids, but you probably received the new universal lid, so that won't work if you don't have the rings.

It's a funny problem. I have three BMBs, the two early universal lids I bought work just fine with them, but the two newer ones pop up.

I spoke recently to the NB people and the workaround they suggested was buying a large worm-drive clamp (6" worked for me) and using that to hold cordage or straps over the lid to keep it in place.

PassedPawns solution above will work if you have the rings that came with the original BMB lids, but you probably received the new universal lid, so that won't work if you don't have the rings.

It's a funny problem. I have three BMBs, the two early universal lids I bought work just fine with them, but the two newer ones pop up.

Oh yea, I keep forgetting that they ship with the universal now. Woops.

I recently fermented a batch in a BMB for the first time. A day or two in, I also encountered the loose lid problem. Fortunately, the mini fridge I'm fermenting in gives me juuuuuust enough room between the freezer space and the top of the BMB lid for a red brick. I wedged two of them (wrapped in foil) on either side of the blowoff tube.

Lid stays on just fine now :)

If you picked up the stopper they recommend, I find that it fits in the lid port very well! That has not yet been a problem. I'm fermenting my second batch right now, and it's in there quite snuggly.

I've done the exact same thing with the three batches I've made with my BMBs, bought at the same Northern Brewer sale with the universal lids.

Honestly, I don't know if it is worth the effort. When transferring using the port at the bottom, I found that the fermentor would crumple in on itself with the lid and airlock in place. Thinking more about my experience, that might have been the negative pressure caused by transferring the beer.

Regardless, I'm planning on continuing to use the bricks.

In response to your second question, my solution was to buy this thermowell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JSYNN80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a stepped drill bit to drill a hole in the lid, making the hole just large enough to thread the thermowell in. Added a nut and o-ring to the underside to ensure a good seal.

Not sure how well this solution will work with the newer generation lids, though. It does appear as though your probe will fit the thermowell, but it may be just a smidge tight. No problems with my inkbird 308 probe...

Also, is the flanged end of your current thermowell large enough to prevent it from pulling through a drilled stopper? If so, could you seal it in place with silicone and a dedicated stopper, using the second lid port for temperature readings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back