5th (6th?) brew boiling right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
it is a belgian strong ale. Here's the recipe:

Strong, yet deceptively pale in hue. Earthy overtones with a dry finish.
7 lbs. light malt extract
2 1/2 lbs. Belgian Pilsner malt
2 oz. Belgian Aromatic malt
1 1/2 oz. Styrian Golding hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (finishing)
1 1/2 lbs. light candy sugar (or corn/cane sugar)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
1 pkg. White Labs Belgian Golden Ale yeast
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)
O.G. - 1.072
F.G. - 1.015

It is a Defalco's recipe, and so far all their beers have turned out great (jury's still out on the IIPA, but it's only been in the bottle 1.5 weeks)

I am pleasantly surprised at how light in color the wort is. might turn out to be a nice pale color, but the sugar I am adding at the end of the boil ought to give the yeast a handful to work with...:drunk:

I'm really having a good night: enjoying a nice ice cold Koelsch (of my own manufacture of course), and just relaxing and making another HB.

This one's pretty big too, but hopefully it'll be more forgiving of early drinking than my IIPA.

this will be the first time I am actually going to use the finishing hops. It goes in right as I turn the heat off, right?

am cleaning up now.

OG - 1.075 (it is 82 degrees though... not sure how to correct for the elevated temp)

it's gonna be pretty (judging by the gravity sample's color)

ahoym8e said:
am cleaning up now.

OG - 1.075 (it is 82 degrees though... not sure how to correct for the elevated temp)

it's gonna be pretty (judging by the gravity sample's color)

Let Walker explain those Hydro readings to you. ;)

Seriously tho, sounds like a good brew day. Congrats! :mug:

Ize

and the yeast is going nuts!!!

2-3 glurks per second in the airlock.

fermenting at 68-72 degs.

This one's gonne be good!

Sounds like a good one!

You might want to consider a good long stint in the secondary and consider re-pitching some yeast before bottling, as the Belgians do.

DANG, I got home today and i was fermenting at 77 degs...

I have 3 ice-blocks in the tub of water now hoping to cool everything down to around 70 again. I hope I don't have too many fruity esthers going... The airlock doesnt smell too sweet yet, so I am hoping that I might get is cooled back down in time.

man, everything was going so well on this one.

I need to pick up some ingredients for a nice little beer that I can drink withing a couple of weeks. theres another HBS on Kuykendahl by my work (sort of). maybe I can pick up a decent ingredients batch there at lunch sometime. Maybe a cream ale or another Hefe...

Back