5Gal batch kettle size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova5

Reaction score
What size boil kettle is needed for a 5 gallon batch? i've been lookin around and can't seem to find anything useful as to how much is boiled off during that stage.

Typically you would boil off about 1.5 gallons during a 60 minute boil. Allowing another 1/2 gallon for thermal expansion would put you at 7 gallons. Then you want some freeboard so add another gallon or so. That brings it up to 8 gallons minimum. You can get buy with a smaller kettle by topping up near the end of the boil, but a bigger kettle is the better way to go.

Give serious thought to buying a 15 gallon kettle or making a keggle. At some point if you stick with brewing you might be going to 10 gallon batches. Wish I had taken my own advice.

Give serious thought to buying a 15 gallon kettle or making a keggle. At some point if you stick with brewing you might be going to 10 gallon batches. Wish I had taken my own advice.

I wish some one had told me this when i purchased my 7.5 gallon pot, but luckly i scored a 1/2 bbl keg for 5 bucks so now i have a 7.5 HLT that just needs a valve....anyway thats my 3 cents

I started with on the stove extract, then went partial mash with a 20 quart stainless steel kettle, then upgraded to a turkey fryer with a 30 quart aluminum pot for full boils. Boil overs were always a problem, a fan blowing over the top of the boiling liquid make a big difference.
Last week I finished my keggle. It's nice not having to worry about boil overs and I can drain the wort without lifting the kettle.
I would suggest that you find a keg, cut off the top and insert a quarter turn 1/2" valve. There's a ton of info. on this forum. Sooner or later, you'll want a bigger pot.
Good Luck.

I used a regular turkey freyer pot for a while but it really it is too small. After a couple of boil overs later, I decided to go with a 10gal pot. If you want to do full boils, just buy a 1gal pot

Back