55 gallon Stainless Steel kettle: pros and cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizarrojosh

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to find a suitable boil kettle for 10 gallon batches. Unfortunately money is tight so I can't just buy whatever. However, I want to the most bang for my buck and for about $200 I can get a 55 gallon SS drum. Alternatively I can buy a 15 gal SS Bayou classic for $107 from amazon (cheapest I've found). For about 200+ I can get various other 15 gallon pots from various retailers.

My questions, then, are why would I want to get a smaller pot? For $200 bucks I could get a 55 gallon drum and make 10 gallon batches in it. Or I could get a 15 gallon pot for 107 and "limit" myself to about 12 gallons or less. Also, are there any negatives to using SS drums?

I have no intention (right now) of making more than 10 gallons of beer at a time. Is there a reason I shouldn't get the 55 gallon drums?

Same reason you don't buy a dump truck to move mulch around!

Why spend $100 more when you'll never need a kettle that big? A 55gal drum is harder to store, it's way heavier, it doesn't have handles, etc etc

Unless you plan starting a nano brewery stick to a 15gal kettle.

-Ben

might be worth it just for bragging rights.....I can see it now, invite the club over for brew night, wheel that sucker out, and watch the expressions:D

That and you can help stimulate our economy with all the fittings you are sure to buy.:p

Same reason you don't buy a dump truck to move mulch around!

-Ben

That argument doesn't work with some people.....most people around here garden with walk behind tillers.......I do it with a Restored 1950 John Deere M :D

Boil off is much larger with a smaller batch in a 55 gallon kettle, and boil control is significantly harder with a 55 gallon kettle with a small batch. Smallest size for 55 gallons (my setup anyways) is about 25 gallons. You would want to match your kettle close to your batch size.

Back