55 Gallon Stainless Steel Drum of Sevoflurane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PedroBrew

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new here (from Brazil, sorry for bad english and grammatical errors).
Recently, I met a person who is selling 55gall Stainless Steel Drums, and it's cheaper than any SS Pot on market.

They are mirrored, beautiful! (see pics)
The problem is that the product that was stored before is sevoflurane (anesthetic).

I have already tried contact the manufacturer, but got no success.

WRUioSG
pic1

MPqnjtC
pic2

jwdekzu
pic3

I know it is Stainless Steel AISI 304L, but can I use as equipment?

Last edited:

Technical measures/conditions: Keep container tightly closed. Keep in a cool, well-ventilated place. Store between 15-30°C
(59 to 86°F).
Incompatible products: No special restrictions on storage with other products

There is nothing about reusing containers of the product.
Or something about contamination with SS 304

Do you think it can leave residue on the Drum even after well cleanned?

This is not something I would give or take advice on if I were not a professional experienced with this chemical.

Looks fine to me, but please, don't take my word for it: I'm not an expert on this stuff! I only voice my (common sense) opinion.

Given all the crap we breathe, eat, and drink every day, beyond our choice, any small trace of this stuff left after thorough cleaning maybe the least of your concern. Probably most of it will hide out in the edge seam on the bottom and top so pay special attention to those areas. I doubt it reacts with the SS304, or they wouldn't use it as packaging. Get it tested for peace of mind.

Are you going to cut a hole in the top, like a keggle? You would have full access to the interior for cleaning and inspection.

Now can the bottom handle direct heat without buckling?

Sevoflurane is an inhalational anesthetic commonly used thru out the world. It is a very volatile compound so it should readily evaporate. If it is safe enough for little children to inhale, I would not worry about residue in the SS drum. I would have no problem using these containers. I would leave them open to air until the residual compound evaporates and then rinse with isopropyl alcohol. I would then wash with PBW and water. Great find!

Thanks guys for the answers,

Yes, I'm going to cut a hole in the top, like a keggle. I'm worried if the bottom can handle direct heat without buckling, but I'll give it a try.

Price is R$ 450,00 =~ $118.00

I do not know if I make a tripod with burner for each of them or a stand for all...

I saw that I can also do fermenters, cutting the bottom, like this:
_DSC4601.jpg
pic

Back