55 gallon stainless steel barrel for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

en0rmous

Reaction score
I have acquired a 55 gallon ss barrel that I would like to convert into a brewing kettle. The barrel looks and smells clean idk if it has been previously sanitized. I don't think it was food grade and has a sticker saying what it contained.
My question is can I clean and sanitize this barrel and use it as a brew kettle? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394390073.098008.jpg ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394390106.143021.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Someone with more experience may chime in but I think the bottom of that thing is too thin to put a propane, or any, burner to. Im guessing no liner but need to see the inside.

That said, if I had one I would make it into a UDS, buts that a different obsession.

I think it may be too thin also, may lead to scorching problems...and get rid of that pin oak tree...too many leaves!!!

Thanks for the input. I don't have the money right now to make it electric. if the flame is dispersed evenly along the bottom of the barrel do u still think it will scorch?

Thanks for the input. I don't have the money right now to make it electric. if the flame is dispersed evenly along the bottom of the barrel do u still think it will scorch?

I don't think you would have a problem scorching unless you're using extract. I've used pots that I'm sure were the same or thinner than that drum and never had a problem with scorching when doing all grain.

What kind of stainless steel fittings would I need to make a spigot to it

Thanks for all the input I will be converting it soon and I will get back and let u know how it turned out

Back